Tuesday, July 7, 2009

My first visit


I'm not sure how much therapy I was. I almost felt like the big lady that yells but loves me anyway was needing some after the time in the nursing home. But the Big Boss Lady trainer person said I did good. So! There!

So we head off on a hot day to a big building. I got super excited because I thought we might be going to the dog park or better still, the store where there are buckets of treats and big bags of kibble for me. But when the big lady let me out of the van we were at neither place. I wish she'd talk to me more and say where we're going. How can a dog like me plan ahead? Oh well. I've tried to tell her, but she won't listen (she talks a lot you know).

We get there and there is this big sliding glass door that we go through. And right away there is this living room looking place. I couldn't believe it. The big lady told me to walk over with her and sit right beside the sofa! The rules must have changed because at home I can't do that. Then in comes my friend Kobe. He's a mutt dog learning like me. But I got a bit irritated as his lady person (who I might add doesn't look like the yelling type like mine) had him all spiffed up with a scarf and stuff. He's a brown noser... well actually, black. Small detail.

There's a big distraction though. A HUGE ball fish tank thing. I kept watching it and feeling frantic. I wanted to go bite them, but it was high on a wall and well... you can't bite through plexiglass.

So then we got to go! Down this long hall. It was ripe with smells. I heard the big lady say it was a very pleasant place. But it did smell! Like people. Old people. And food trays. And crumbs. And other stuff. We walked into a lot of different rooms. Some of the people were almost ok. Some were just plain out of their minds. Some looked like they wouldn't be around for the next visit. And one lady was in my mind completely dead. She was lying flat on her back completely covered head to toe with a sheet. The big lady with me did a little 'gasp'. And then the someone under the sheet yelled, 'Is that you Cindy?'. Nope. Just Lisi and the big lady that yellls. 'Am I in the hospital?'. For goodness sake you nut-ball, take the sheet off your face and see that you're in your nursing home room! But she never did. I tried to coax her out but she wasn't interested in even looking at me! Can you believe it? I'm pretty! Then we were in a room with a man that was in a wheelchair. He was so sweet looking. And shaky. And frail. And his wife was standing there and she asked him if he wanted to pet me. The man said yes (smart choice) and then his very dull, lifeless eyes just sparkled. Then he started to talk about a beagle his son had. And he was so happy. And his wife was overjoyed. And it was all because I made him think about something other than his sad life. I laid down between my big lady and them and just listened to them talk. They loved me there. And then my favorite. A guy that was just like my Grandpa R. except he was older. He pet me and let me kiss him all over and he kissed me and said that he actually loved me! Well for goodness sake, why not! I made that guy so happy he had tears in his eyes. And then... I had to leave.

We were done. The Big Boss lady said I did good. Kobe did almost a bit better. But he's a show-off. We go back in a week. I can't wait.

But! In two weeks there is a test. A super-duper hard test. And my big lady that yells is very busy so she's worried how I'll do. If I don't pass, I'm not a therapy dog. I guess lots fail the first time. But we'll give it a shot.

So there you have it you Lisi lovers out there. I'm sure there will be another tail, I mean tale to tell very soon!

4 comments:

  1. I'm thinking you also smelled disinfectant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lisi,

    Tell the boss lady to buy a small handkerchief (yes) a hanky... then find some lavender essential oil... dab a bit on the hanky and take it in her pocket next time. It will calm her and cover up the smells of the place.

    Leo thinks you will do great and you will pass.

    the Papendorf bunch

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww... Lisi, I hope you pass your test. They need good dogs like you. I'm so happy you made some people happy this week.

    ReplyDelete