Tuesday, April 28, 2009
Monday, April 27, 2009
And Facebook. When I signed up a few months ago just because someone had e-mailed me asking me to join I thought, 'wow!' What a neat idea! Friends connecting! Pictures! Status updates! And you know what? It was great! Fun! Terribly time consuming. And now it almost seems... blase (I can't put the accent over the 'e'). I used to check in on that real often. I think I did once today...
So that's how it goes in life. Newness and novelty wear off very quickly. I am thankful that relationships aren't that way for me. Especially the very deep and close ones.
* Back to the woodwork tomorrow. Now the sealing coat(s). So far as I can tell so far, it'll need two coats with a bit of sanding in between. My parents are the lucky winners to help tomorrow!
* I was out doing errand running this morning and saw Robin Hood! Really! He was actually an elderly Robin Hood on a bicycle. Sporting a tyrolean hat, knickers, a vest, and long sleeve shirt underneath. I was so startled and smiling at the same time he gave me a big wave. I was about ready to shoot an apple off his head. Something you don't see everyday for sure.
* Trevor got locked out of the house on Saturday night. Mira thought he was just trying to get in the front door (and me too). So he kept ringing and ringing (I was helping Rayna in her shower) the doorbell. Finally about 5 minutes (or more) later I hear loud crying on the front porch. I run out there and he's nearly hysterical. Partly because he was locked out. But moreso because he was ready to strangle Mira. I explained that the back door locks on its own sometimes and she didn't lock him out. Whew!
* I've gained nearly 4 lbs that I can't get off. Well I haven't tried terribly hard, but still! It is making me nervous. I need to waddle a little faster on the walks I reckon. Middle-age?
* Lisi started her Canine Good Citizen class today. It's doggy boot camp! Really! We'll have to really practice 'meets and greets' with friends and strangers. It's her biggest weakness... showing self-control with others. Ugh. The rest of it she's doing excellent.
* Piano is being tuned today! We have an old upright that isn't beautiful to the eye, but to the ear. I love it. Paid less than $100 back in my single MN days... and it has done well. But only tuned twice and still hardly needs it. But after the move, I better, right?
* Time to mop!
Saturday, April 25, 2009
I've been tagged......1. Choose the fourth folder where you store pictures on your computer. 2. Choose the fourth picture. 3. Explain that picture. 4. Tag 4 other people. Now, I know that I'm supposed to tag four other people, but I know of many that don't like to be tagged...
So this picture was taken last Thanksgiving. My brother that is mean but still loves me and his lovely family came for a too short visit as they hit all the famiy members here in the midwest. Our three love to be with their older cousins and the twice/year visits hardly cut it for them. Anyway, here it is!
Friday, April 24, 2009
Thursday, April 23, 2009
The pressure mounts. This was on my nightstand last night. Oldest daughter wants to have gerbil(s). I love animals. With a passion. But the idea of a furry rodent(s) that will need care just seems to be something that will be included on my plate that is full of other things...
Tuesday, April 21, 2009
* The Chairman is working very long hours this week. He doesn't complain. Actually, never does about his work load. Lucky for him and for us he likes his job. And he comes to eat supper with us. But he's been seeing midnight nearly every night this week. Good thing it lightens up a bit soon.
* Drywall dust is dusty. Really. Bad. Yuck. I've complained before. And! It gets better. They have to come back! Scaffolding and the whole kahuna. Instead of doing a wood trim piece, we're going to have some more sanding done. Dirtsville here we come again.
* I left a bag of groceries at the store yesterday. Got home and the avocado, cucumber, mango, 1/2 & 1/2, and three bags of shredded cheese were missing. Call them. Oh yes! Another lady took it home with her and thought it was hers and she just brought it back. Really? Honesty is still alive.
* Lisi graduated with honors from obedience 2. Actually, there was no test this time. Just a maze to walk through. They play "Pomp and Circumstance" and the doggies get good treats for their efforts. It is silly really. But the trainer wants her to go on to Canine Good Citizen and then eventually therapy dog. I think I will. But it is a time commitment. Good thing Lisi likes learning! I just don't like the homework.
* I just went through the kids' clothes. There is 3 black garbage bags worth of (too) small of things. A liberating feeling. I can't stand mess or clutter. Just ask them!
* I have a LOT of staining to do for our basement. Good thing for a willing mom-in-law to help! And the weather is looking great for the end of the week.
* I found a swivel/aerator for my kitchen faucet. This is very thrilling as I like to swoosh out the sink and I haven't been able to like I used to. You see we have a very unusual 'Chicago Faucet' that is wall mounted. With specialty parts. I call the company and a very gruff lady by the name of 'Joann' answered. I told her my need and she yelled into the phone, 'you need part number E-25 ok?'. Um. Can I order it through you (since it is the headquarters for goodness sake). 'No!' She yells. 'Call a distributor in your area. Do you have another question?' (Well if I did I'd be scared to ask it Joann...)
* I've resigned myself to not having a vegetable garden this year. There is soooo much work to do with our yard as it is... so I'll just plant some tomatoes, and rely on kind handouts (this isn't a hint) or go to a produce stand.
* The allergy season is starting. Lucky for us there is Claritin. Both R&T have it... Trevor moreso.
* I wish I was funny tonight. But I don't feel funny. No funny lines. Nothing interesting. Nada. Sorry folks. Maybe next time.
Monday, April 20, 2009
We never knew 9 years ago that this beautiful bunch would be ours!
Sunday, April 19, 2009
* A good break even though we have no glamorous trip to share details about. We kept busy with friends, family, and trips to a museum, library, stores, etc.
* The kids loved their time at their cousin's. Although after going through their clothes when they came home, I see Mira takes after her brother. Yep. No dirty undies after four days. Mira? Why don't you have any dirty underwear? Um. Because I never packed any. (sigh)
* And we loved our time without kids. If only for two days. We ate out twice (!). And walked a lot of times. And made some decisions on the basement stuff. And talked without interruption. I am so thankful that after 14 years I still love time with the Chairman. Ok. Enough mush and gush. (sorry!)
Ok people. Still trying the picture thing out. I tried to download from Picasa but using Blog This I only could do 4 at a time. I ended up sending it four different times and copied/pasted to this original post that really when re-reading it isn't worth beans. Anyway! I've struggled with this way too long tonight. And so I'm off to bed.
Friday, April 17, 2009
Nine years ago tonight we were flying from Los Angeles to Guangzhou, China. We talked about that awesome time tonight.... and know we are very fortunate for three very special kids to us.
Monday, April 13, 2009
Thursday, April 9, 2009
The very warm room. The dimmed lights. The computer-generated music with fake birdies making slightly pleasant screeching noises in the background. I wish I could bring my own CD's. Good (real) piano music. Maybe even some Scott Joplin rag!
My masseuse (I need to spell-check that word) was
Anytime you try to touch my feet I feel like breaking out in a fit of giggles. Not conducive to relaxation. And in a similar thought, I gave her the 'giggle reflex' when she tried to work out knots on my back. Apparently there are many.
Tips I find frustrating. I realize that in a service industry they're needed. But why can't a place just pay their people rather than rely on tips to make an honest living? And then there's the question of how much. Loose change in an envelope probably doesn't cut it.
So that was how it was. I supposidly need to exercise my back since I'm such a knotted up mess back there (pun intended).
Spring break officially begins here in 4 hours. Wowser!
Tuesday, April 7, 2009
1. First thing you wash in the shower?
2. What color is your favorite hoodie?
3. Would you kiss the last person you kissed again?
Of course. Why would I kiss someone in the first place if I didn't intend to again?
4. Do you plan outfits?
If I'm leaving the house I do. Maybe I don't look like it, but I do. Usually it revolves around staying warm though... not 'planning' in a true fashion sense.
5. How are you feeling RIGHT now?
Quite pleased with the accomplishments of the day and looking forward to tomorrow!
6. What's the closest thing to you that's red?
The light on the answering machine.
7. What was the last dream you remember having?
The kids pulling a horse downstairs at a HUGE house we were staying in.
8. Did you meet anybody new today?
Yes. Two little snot-nosed kids at the playground.
9. What are you craving right now?
10. Do you floss?
Yes! The 1/2 hour before my dentist appt.
11. What comes to mind when I say cabbage?
12. Are you emotional?
Yes-sirree. Especially if it involves talking about how our kids came to be.
13. Have you ever counted to 1,000?
I honestly don't think so.
14. Do you bite into your ice cream or just lick it?
Lick. Biting hurts my teeth.
15. Do you like your hair?
I do. Insight here folks. I like my gray. I've always been a dull shade of brown. I look at it as highlights!
16. Do you like yourself?
Mostly. But sometimes I don't like my reactions to things.
17. Would you go out to eat with George W. Bush?
Yes! I thought he was an awesome president. I miss him these days...
18. What are you listening to right now?
The laptop next to me whirring.
19. Are your parents strict?
They were and yet they weren't. We just 'knew' what they wanted from us.
20. Would you go sky diving?
Not now that I'm a mother and wife.
21. Do you like cottage cheese?
Yes! Especially with salsa and chips!
22. Have you ever met a celebrity?
Does Arsenio Hall count? I was on his show once (not as a guest silly, as an audience member)
23. Do you rent movies often?
24. Is there anything sparkly in the room in which you are?
Um. No. Just my personality!!!
25. What countries have you visited?
Canada, Mexico, Venezuela, Great Britain, Jamaica, Bahamas.
26. Have you made a prank phone call?
Sure. Remember the one calling old ladies asking if their refrigerator is running?
27. Ever been on a train?
Yes! Several times. The last time was with three teeny kids all alone heading to Mpls/St. Paul. One lady on the train told me I was brave. I didn't think so at the time, but now I do.
28. Brown or white eggs?
Depends on what Sarah's chickens are laying that week.
29. Do you have a cell-phone?
Of course. But I don't use it much.
31. Do you use chapstick?
Yes. But usually it is Carmex.
32. Do you own a gun?
Does a Nerf count?
33. Can you use chopsticks?
34. Who are you going to be with tonight?
Alone until the Chairman gets home late from work. Oh. The kids are here, but sleeping.
35. Are you too forgiving?
I don't think so.
36. Ever been in love?
Silly question. Yes.
37. What is your best friend doing tomorrow?
I'd consider the Chairman my best friend. And he'll be back in the mine again making pennies at his desk.
38. Ever have cream puffs?
Yes, my mom and mom-in-law both make them quite often!
39. Last time you cried?
I can't remember now.
40. What was the last question you asked?
Did you put your homework away?
41. Favorite time of the year?
42. Do you have any tattoos?
43. Are you sarcastic?
Kinda, sorta. Not in a mean sort I don't think... but sometimes it adds a bit of funny to a situation.
44. Have you ever seen The Butterfly Effect?
45. Ever walked into a wall?
Sure! And it would be hilarious to see on tape.
46. Favorite color?
Turquoise blue (the vibrant one)
47. Have you ever slapped someone?
Yes. I'm a sister. And I had a mean big brother.
48. Is your hair curly?
Yes, but down under the straight stuff. It is super-de-duper kinky after a shower. Weird, no?
49. What was the last CD you bought?
A Denise B one a few years ago.
50. Do looks matter?
To some degree, yes. I'd like to say no, but that isn't true.
51. Could you ever forgive a cheater.
Tough question. Yes.
52. Is your phone bill sky high?
53. Do you like your life right now?
54. Do you sleep with the TV on?
No. That sounds dreadful. I actually sleep with ear plugs in!
55. Can you handle the truth?
56. Do you have good vision?
Well, sorta. But I've got my reading glasses that I'm still to proud to use in public.
57. Do you hate or dislike more than 3 people?
Hate is an ugly word. No.
58. How often do you talk on the phone?
A few times/day. Not a ton.
59. The last person you held hands with?
I think it was Mira.
60. What are you wearing?
My wind pants, and jacket (back from walking the dog)
61. What is your favorite animal?
62. Where was your profile picture taken?
In our living room.
63. Can you hula hoop?
64. Do you have a job?
Um. No. Nothing to do. Unemployed. I eat bon-bons all day...
65. What was the most recent thing you bought?
66. Have you ever crawled through a window?
Yes. Isn't that a weird one to be the last question???
* The worst part of cleaning the house is getting the house ready to be cleaned.
* Laundry really piles up after five days with five people.
* All three of our kids are pack rats. Is this normal? One unnamed child keeps actual garbage (wrappers and the like) stuffed into little dixie cups on her nightstand. Why I ask her? She can't say other than she likes them. And why would one of my cookbooks be under the sink in the girls' bathroom? Hmmm. I can't wait to ask them.
* We should maybe start doing our taxes. However, this is the Chairman's job. I've offered through the years but he takes full and serious responsibility. And so I gather the stuff and he does it. It is now April 7... and the 15th isn't too far off!
* I don't like filing, bill-paying, office work. Yuck. You'd think with a background in business I'd gravitate to it... but nope. Nosiree folks. I would rather go do the laundry. Or moreso... cook! Bake! Yum.
* I may be in on another big day of privilege tomorrow! I'm glad someone called to offer a ride.
* I need a good salmon recipe. It is waiting to be devoured tonight.
* Trevor is on book #3 of the Harry Potter series. I tried to read a few lines and don't get the allure...
* The Chairman is very busy these days. So no big spring break trip for us. Any ideas on filling days with three kids??? We'll be taking pj's to visit some family for a couple of the days.
* I better get going. No cleaning fairy is coming today I guess.
Sunday, April 5, 2009
Since they were babies. Special meeting morn' - 09.
I was realizing this morning how different it is to get ready for a day like today now that the kids are bigger. No diaper bags and the junk you have to do beforehand to make them useful. No snacks for meeting. No meeting toys! No dressing kids (I still comb the girls' hair though). And... they were all sitting out in the truck ready to go before we were! So we left and got there at 9:13! There were still good seats available at that time!
Saturday, April 4, 2009
There's some people you can do this to... and my in-laws are some of them. They were having their special company at lunchtime. I desperately wanted to see some there. So I call and ask, 'can I come?'. I was caught off guard. She responds, 'don't ever ask like this again.' (gasp!). Then...'know you're always welcome to come without asking'. (sweet sigh). And so I went and thoroughly enjoyed it. And the spaghetti! Posting these mainly for AB so that she can see more familiar faces!
And then there's this little plaque thing I found. I love the thought. It is in our mudroom as we walk out the door.