Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Had a bad day...

There's a kids storybook titled "Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very bad day".  There's also a song that came to mind by Daniel Powter titled (you guessed it) "Bad Day".  If you want, head to Youtube and listen to it.  It's kinda catchy.  And it came into mind several times yesterday.  I had a (kinda) bad day.

I woke up to the sound of silence.  Normally that would be a good thing.  But for some reason, the furnace decided not to fire up.  I went downstairs and did the most obvious thing.  I stared at the quiet, non-working furnace for a bit.  I touched this and that.  Lightly pounded on a couple things.  Nothing...  So it was 60 degrees in the house for awhile.  Thankfully we have a wood stove.

I traipsed out to the garage and loaded up some wood.  In the process of dragging in approximately 50 lbs of wood, I got not one but two slivers.  Great...  but at least we'll warm up.

I had plans set on cleaning carpets.  With the help of the loved ones living here,  I got the living room emptied and the loved ones living here helped put up anything small so I could run the cleaner more easily.  I drove to the local retail establishment and rented the unit.  The cleaning went well until the last hour when I was in the basement and the handle just cracked off a metal rivet.  Cleaning was suddenly over.  I was worried about returning the now-broken machine, but they received it willingly and cheerfully.  Whew.

Drove to the school to pick up daughter #2.  I'm quickly backing into my spot and paying too much attention to the driver in front of me and I 'bump' the metal basketball hoop.  I hop out to look.  Thankfully, no damage.  Yikes.

Then to the orthodontist.  Thankfully, we have an orthodontist that should be a comedian.  He totally cheered me up.  I sat there cackling like a school girl as he fired off a multitude of jokes and quips that just tickled me after an annoying and kinda bad day.  However it wasn't all grins and giggles.  He informed me that son #1 will need braces again (!), and daughter #2 will also need them.  Both will be put on in approximately a year.  For the record, they don't come by cheaply.

I have a touch of OCD.  That means I like everything in its place and a place for everything.  This is what our house looked like for 24 hours.

On top of all that, I have cracks on both thumbs by the nail and both heels have deeply embedded cracks due to the amazingly cold/dry winter and my utter lack of giving them attention.

So I was just getting home after the orthodontist appointment feeling glum and annoyed and crabby and the Chairman texts a one-liner about eating out for supper.  I immediately replied 'yes' and then changed my mind and asked him if he wanted to have granola pancakes/bacon/eggs instead.  He did.

So once we all took a deep breath and all five sat around our round table noshing on some wholesome fare I felt better.  Lots better.  Insurmountable tasks seemed like nothing.  All was well.

This morning, the furnace fired up as normal.  The repair guy was called to not come.  The house is back in order with clean carpets and area rugs.  The car was washed.  And I brought along my cheerful companion to hike in a different location.
yes, I like to do it myself to save $3.  I'm frugal like that.  

Always up for an adventure and to encourage a good mood.

So there you have it.  I realize my life is full of goodness, luxury, and sometimes leisure.  But yesterday was one of those days where nothing seemed to go quite right.  Compared to some battles others are facing, it is nothing.  I'm glad I snapped out of it and today has been bright and spirits have been cheered.

And finally, I can so relate to this:





2 comments:

  1. I need someone to come clean my carpets. I think I could get Jim to do it and we could work on it together, but it is more fun to sit at the computer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your bad day song. Here's a more angry bad day song. For some reason it can cheer you up when having a bad day.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Yx7xWlyNmg

    ReplyDelete