Monday, February 2, 2015

Monday Musings

Well time to hop into the writer's seat and see where the Musing goes today.

Today Punxsutawney Phil saw his shadow.  I guess that means six more weeks of winter.  I say bring it on!  Six weeks doesn't sound like much.  And yesterday, we finally got a real winter day.  They call winter storms names these days.  This one was called "Linus".  I always think of that cute little boy holding his blankie and sucking his thumb in the Peanuts cartoon.  I almost felt like doing that too when I saw the weather, but we braved the elements and were spiritually and naturally fed.  

One cousin spent time with her newly-moved-to-this area cousin at another cousin's house.  If you follow that, you get an award.
Son #1 has been snowboarding about five of the last seven days.  I asked him if he gets really tired of going to the hill all the time and was met with a very blank stare like I was talking crazy.  So apparently not.  I go over and put on my skis about once every two weeks.  I'm a rookie skier (less than two years), so each and every time I take them back off without broken bones I consider it a victory.  
Skiing
I must be getting old.  I usually have some latest doctor appointment to share about.  Today was a follow-up call to the dermatologist.  A couple months back he froze off some spots on my face.  So today he wanted to see how they looked and possibly freeze another.  

Dr. Rejkavik Iceland comes in (yes that's where he went to school).  I'm again quite stunned about his perfect complexion.  He asks how I'm doing and then suddenly takes both my hands in both of his.  I sat up straight as it seemed like he was ready to propose.  He looks at the top of them and says, 'beautiful.  Just beautiful."  Then he turns them over (I'm meanwhile distracted with his perfectly white and very soft hands.  This guy has never changed the oil in his car I reckon.)  Then he says 'they look beautiful'.  Well thanks!  I think my hands look a bit old and wrinkly and have some age spots.  But if Dr. Iceland calls them beautiful, well, I'm going to run with that.  

Then he gets way close and looks at the spot on my face that may need treatment and says that he wants to freeze that spot.  He pulls out his torch device and aims it my way.  I start to count in my head.  One.  Two.  Three.  OW-WOW-OW!  It hurts like the dickens.  I'm ready to grab Dr. Iceland by the collar and twist it very hard.  And just like that, he was done.  I actually got tears in my eyes.  He said he was sorry and wouldn't be so mean to me next year when I come see him again.  How thoughtful.  I would take a selfie and let you see my swollen and reddened lip but I'm in my very late 40's and selfies only show sagging skin and age spots, so you'll have to imagine.  

I've tried to enjoy these each noon.  I must say I feel more energetic after having a smoothie for lunch, but drinking them down is a bit like taking in 18 ounces of NyQuil.  Today's was chia seeds, carrot juice, some berries and pineapple, a half-banana, and about 2 cups of kale/spinach.  Urp!  I may or may not have chased it down with some caramel corn.

There's been a feral cat trying to get into our house lately.  Here's a picture of him.  
Don't let his looks deceive you.  Simba spends approximately 21 hours of every day sleeping in various rooms on lofty fleece blankets.  The other two hours are spent following me from room to room meowing to be picked up or actually sitting on my lap.  The remaining hour is spent watching the birds at the feeder.  Such a life...  if you asked him, he wishes the ground hog wouldn't have seen his shadow and spring would be here like yesterday.  

Well enough Musing this Monday.  I've thought often about different ones that come to read mindless matter that I know and don't know.  One of these days I might just ask you to leave a comment on who you are, where you live and how you've come across the Chairman and Co.  I feel like some of you are friends I just haven't met yet!  

Happy rest of the week.  

2 comments:

  1. I feel your pain. I am looking forward (not) to round three of plantar wart freezing. He goes 3x3 to where I can hardly stand it each time. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My idea of great skiing is the fireplace in the lodge and hot tea and a book!

    ReplyDelete