Monday, February 23, 2015

Monday Musings

Well all is quiet here yet at the Chairman and Co.  There is no school today and I have a terrible time writing anything when there is a din in the house.  Simba is patiently waiting for the Monday Musings to appear.  He's nearly sitting on my left hand.

Show of hands!  Who doesn't like February?  (mine is raised).  In Dairyland, it is just a filler month keeping us from warmer temperatures.  I would do another screen shot of our morning temperature, but I think you get the point.  Hovering in the -20 with wind chill isn't fun.  I asked if son #1 wanted to walk with me last night and he agreed.  However a few blocks from home he said his legs felt like needles poking him.  I think they call that frostnip.

I was thinking though when you live in a frigid climate it is better just to stay put during the winter.  It is like we live in a freezer.  We don't know that there is life outside of the freezer.  So we bundle up and enjoy life in the freezer.  But some people get out of the freezer.  They shed layers of clothing.  They bask in sunshine, sand, and sea breezes.  They realize there is a wonderful life outside of the freezer.  And then vacation ends.  They put back on many layers and crawl back into the freezer realizing there is indeed sun and warmth somewhere else.  Then they aren't as happy and start complaining all the more about the conditions within the freezer until spring comes....  just a thought anyway.  But if anyone has extra tickets to a warm place, just let me know!  Heh.

A few days ago we had a little adventure to the Windy City.  Our first stop was at Ikea.  That place is scary.  They have that store so miraculously planned so you walk mindlessly in a circular fashion from here to there.  Then they strategically place items that are at ridiculous prices.  I even got excited over a 99 cent toilet bowl brush.  Scary I say!  I did manage to get out of there spending no more than $200 and have a new service of 12 dishes to show for it.  Love that our girls have this sweet cousin to look up to.  Love that this sweet niece grew up from being a little one that followed me around to becoming a friend I enjoy spending time with.


We have been missing one of the MYP since Friday afternoon.  She's been staying with friends that have three beyond cute little girls.  Apparently there hasn't been a sniff of homesickness.  I finally got a text late Saturday night and I quote:  "I miss you... sorta".  And then that was it!  Last night I texted again asking how she was and telling her we missed her and she replied, "I've got a sore throat and I'm having fun.  The girls are adorable."  I already dread the impending empty nest here.  I spotted this cute little sign at Hobby Lobby and thought of her.


This weather has made me want to walk into the kitchen and bake something that we shouldn't be eating.  A few days ago I spotted this recipe and had to try it.  Yum.  Yum.  Yum.  I averted my eyes at the calorie count.

Our actions speak volumes.  Unspoken gestures have weight.  But the actual word just made my heart sing a couple days ago.  The Chairman was telling someone that was here about some feelings he had experienced that day and what he said nearly made my heart explode.  Though he is very good about showing appreciation (better than me) he really had no idea this time.  I learned something from that.  If I feel something positive and just assume someone else will know what I'm feeling, maybe that isn't good enough.  Maybe I need to say a 'word in season' that says what I feel.  It may make a world of difference to a store clerk, a friend, a young person, or a spouse.

It still is quiet here, but then again, we have teenagers and they can sleep until 1 in the afternoon if you let them!

Happy Monday!

3 comments:

  1. I think you're right about taking time to say kind things. Sometimes someone has said something uncommonly nice to me and it lit up the whole day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder if it is better to live in the freezer all the time or just visit it every week after enjoying temps in the 40s like we have been having.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wonder if it is better to live in the freezer all the time or just visit it every week after enjoying temps in the 40s like we have been having.

    ReplyDelete