Tuesday, November 7, 2017

Tuesday Talk

My my my.  How times have changed.  Years and years and years ago I was a teenager walking home from school at the edge of a prairie town in South Dakota.  The wind was often blowing strong and the backpack was heavy.  I trudged on and was so very glad to walk into the warm and always welcoming house.  There was absolutely no communication between my mom and me from early in the morning until the late-afternoon.

Today there is constant communication.  Just a few minutes ago our sweet and spunky teen was walking to her driving school class and said it was too far to walk.  It was cold.  She was tired.  I just responded with appropriate emojis but didn't budge to go drive her since it was only five blocks to walk.  Finally there was a three-word text.  "This is abuse".  Goodness that made me laugh!

I went to the dentist today.  I was concerned as it had been awhile.  I also was concerned as I have super sensitivity on each side and was convinced I had one or more cavities.  As my hygienist was working her magic with the sharp metal tools she asked quietly, "you must like chia seeds too!".  Oops!  Then she said a bit later, "you must floss and do exactly what you should do because your tissue health is excellent!".  Well.  I last flossed several months ago when there was an apple peel stuck between two teeth.  That must have counted.  Is it lying to tell her otherwise?  I think not.

Did you know Linda is the trendiest name of all time?  I just read that this week.  I always knew I was trendy!  Or maybe my parents had a premonition.  Or maybe they had no clue what to name this third child and just looked at the number one spot and didn't look further.

I was shopping with one of our daughters recently and saw a couple ladies acting just a bit "off".  They were dragging two huge baskets stuffed with clothes and didn't show an interest in trying on anything.  I then noticed some of the clerks were just milling about near the front doors making idle chit-chat about nothing but keeping an eye on these two ladies.  I told my daughter we were leaving.  I sensed something was going to go down.  As we walked outside there was the getaway car.  I could just tell.  No license plate.  Blacked out windows.  And just idling by the front door.  Well moments later there were a LOT of police cars.  I hope they learned their lesson.

This past weekend we had two family parties.  One was for one of the younger ones of the extended family.  The other was for one of the oldest ones of the extended family.  Between the two parties was five cakes.  How in the tarnation am I to at least maintain my weight with five cakes to choose from in just two days?  I won't even mention the Mexican food choices or the lobster and clam sauce.  Oh my.




We have some wonderful extras coming tomorrow to share our home with.  How many of you look at the bathroom rugs or towels and think they look gross and buy new before the special people arrive?  Well today I did.  Life is hard on bathroom rugs and towels.

The Chairman and I celebrated anniversary #23 this past weekend.  We almost went out for a wonderful dinner at a nearby nice restaurant.  Then I realized I had some special grass-fed steaks a friend gave to us.  And sauteéd mushrooms.  And garlic pasta.  And delicious butternut squash.  And asparagus.  And salad with balsamic vinaigrette.  And so we dimmed the lights and ate at home.  It was better than the restaurant.  I'm certain of that.  And I'm certain we picked each other 23-years ago for all the right reasons.

What is it about babies?  I got to have another bit of time with this little goon.  He's only four months and wormed his way into my heart.  When I look at their bright eyes I just can't wait to see what they'll be when they grow up.  And I can totally picture how much your heart would feel like exploding if you became a Grandma.  I know I have lots of time yet, but if I squint, I can almost see what it would be like.

So happy week ahead to you!  Thanks for the visit.  I always look forward to this.

2 comments:

  1. ~ ~ ~ and I for one always enjoy the new posts. That last sunset picture rivals NE sunsets I'm thinking!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Anniversary!! I think I should make my grandkids walk a bit more!

    ReplyDelete