Monday, April 20, 2015

Monday Musings

Well hello there!  It's a blustery, rainy, chilly spring day here.  I think my daffodils are blowing away.  I did capture this picture the other night.  It was pretty while it lasted.

So the good news is that my dreadfully sore throat of three days is gone.  The bad news is that my body said, 'lets move this virus to the nose and eyes and see how much liquid can pour out of them!'.  Colds are miserable.  I always forget until I get one again.

Don't think for a minute that I didn't try to stop it.  I took these remedies in random order:  apple cider vinegar mixed with water, hot water with lemon and honey, vitamin C, magnesium, Airborne, probiotics, and even drank green smoothies for lunch for three consecutive days.  I tried, but the virus was more persistent.  I hope it goes away fast.

Life is real and isn't all roses.  The other day I was crabby.  Like crabby.  Like I wish I hadn't said a few things that I did... crabby.  I felt like Lucy.
My human nature wants to blame it on getting sick.  My other nature wants to redeem myself and tell loved ones that I didn't like how I behaved.  Thankfully, I am choosing the latter and aim to make today a good day.

After I presented my family with Sunday dinner of spaghetti with all the trimmings, I started to wilt.  I realized I needed a big nap and so muttered something about the kitchen was left to the rest of them and wandered off to the bedroom.  I came out nearly two hours later and saw this.  My family had totally cleaned the kitchen.  Now that's what I call thoughtful.  Even after my crabbies.


Last night as I was saying goodnight to son #1, he walked by me.  Hey!  Stop!  Come over here!  I'm not sure when it happened, but he went from being about a half-inch shorter than me to a good inch and more taller than me.  I'm not sure when that happened, but it seems like it really took place in just a day.  I'm guessing we are off to the store to buy more pants again.

The other day, Lisi and I took a road trip to meet her cousin-dog.  Since dogs only identify each other by sniffing the back-sides, I'm not sure she understands the relevance of them being 'cousins'.  No matter.  They seemed to enjoy each other's company.  
There's something Lisi's expression that reminds me of this:

I brushed out the cat this week on the deck and as the cat hair was floating along in the breeze I saw some birds take it off to line their nests.  Isn't that kind of like resting your precious babies on the enemy?   Then I saw this cartoon.  That is why I brush out the cat nearly daily.
This weekend we acquired another daughter.  Her family needed to fly out of town and so we gladly swooped her up to join ours.  It was really nice.  Then another friend came over.  As I looked out at them all jumping on the trampoline it dawned on me what I was seeing.  There were five MYP.  Three were adopted.  Three different racial backgrounds.  Three different skin tones.  We read about celebrating diversity.  I wouldn't say we 'celebrate' it.  We just simply live it because to us, this is normal.  I'm glad of that.


Especially on days like today.  I posted this picture on social media.  This picture represents unspeakable joy to me.  The moment 15 years ago today in the city of Hefei, Anhui, China that our daughter was placed in my arms.  Yes, we intend to celebrate her today.  Not because of the diversity, but because she's our daughter.  Our love.  Our gift.


So happy week ahead to you!  Excuse me while I go blow my nose....


1 comment: