Sunday, October 11, 2009

Camping isn't for Sissies...

my sweet niece and 'nephew'
The Chairman and I...
The fine MN couple
Discussing turkey tracks
The kids lined up
Don't jump Lisi!

friends...
A couple old ladies...
Pumpkin farm!

That's a silly quote from a PJ Funnybunny book. And I quoted it to the kids quite often the past weekend. We had a lovely time with some nice people. And it was mind-numbing, freeze your toes off cold quite chilly.

Lets see. I'm an engineer wanna-be, so bullet points just make more sense to me (hi Mel!). Anyway, here goes...

* Why in the dickens do people camp anyway? I love it. But really. We leave the comforts of home - bed, shower, full-sized kitchen, wall thermostat, and a comfy chair to go out into the elements. And that's fun? Yep. Don't ask me why.

* Actually I do know why. It is usually because of those you're with. It could be only immediate family. Or it could be with friends or relatives. But the chats around a campfire is bar-none like anything else. The art of conversation is spectacular when it has the backdrop of sparks, smoke that chases you around the circle, and warmth.

* I could tell you how cold it was, but most of you wouldn't care. Only those who experienced it. Shortly before I married the Chairman, I had this secret wish to go winter camping in Minnesota. I'm not sure why. But it sounded daring. Fun. And something great to share with others on how stupid brave you were to be out facing the elements. Well after this weekend, I think I did it. When it is in the low 20's at night, that's cold. I managed to stay warm with loads of bedding, a warm Chairman, and my winter coat tented above my head to sleep. It made it more adventurous. And we realized that camping really wasn't for sissies!

* We were with another family from another state. I only knew them by name. They had a couple of kids that fit in with our age-group perfectly and let me tell you. They were nice. Like really nice. Like never irritating nice. And brave. And strong. And funny. And nice. Real nice. I'm happy we shared the weekend with them and their very nice parents. And some other special people that I actually know a bit better.

* And you can see Lisi. She loves camping. Especially the deep grass at the edge of the campsite. It is ripe with little tidbits that people throw out with the dishwater. Yum. Old bacon grease to lick off the leaves. She behaved herself quite properly and has no story to share this time. But her 'cousin dog' came and let me tell you. They wrestled themselves into a stupor.

* We drove about 6 minutes to get to the shower this morning. You see they turned off most all the water because of freezing pipes. And so you go into this little room. You can see your breath very well. And then you are telling your body parts to take off all of your clothes in this frigid temperature and walk across the FREEZING tile floor and push the little silver button to have some luke-warm water come out and that'll make you feel all squeaky-go-to-meetin'-clean. My brain was screaming that this wasn't right and it took all my energy to muster courage to disrobe and face the dripping faucet. But I did and the meeting room didn't smell. And I want to just add on a side note that in the shower I was thinking of countless ones that are workers in other lands that face this experience on a daily basis... and it made me feel small for thinking it was a big deal today.

* And on a baser level... the outhouse had this eerie wind down below that cooled off the bottom side like nobody's business (even if you were trying to do some business). It was very inhibiting to say the least.

* And as we started to unload some of the basics tonight Rayna came up to me and said 'mom? I love camping. There really isn't anything better. Oh wait. Yes there is. Eating pickles is better. But then camping is next.

6 comments:

  1. really- when it's that cold, why shower? Seriously...
    brrrrrrrrrr

    the eerie wind in the outhouse cracked me up. that's proly where they ever got the idea for those crazy forced air hand driers in public restrooms...they thought they'd work just like the eerie o/h breeze...

    ReplyDelete
  2. have you ever heard of the term "spit bath"? or was that before you existed? i would have taken that kind. sounds fun and like you really liked the people you were with which helped to alleviate the temperature problem!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sure it was a lot of work for my parents, but we always loved going camping as kids too. Dad always says the closer you are to gathering around a fire, the better the conversation. Thanks for the shout-out - it made me laugh!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like an awesome camping experience. We have gone soft in our old age. We now insist on having tents AND cots. No more sleeping on those thin pads with sleeping bags for these old creaky bones! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. you're braver than I! I'm a wimp when it comes to camping (O.K.....A SISSY!!)
    and I'd be raiding the box of wet wipes for a "sponge bath"!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. You had some good company. Good company always helps cold camping be more fun. ;)

    ReplyDelete