Friday, October 16, 2009

Falling thoughts

I should hate this weather. And the season. But somehow it isn't affecting me this year. I don't know why. But I've not been a fall season-type-person at all in my life. It was the foretaste of something nasty ahead. It might be because I'm scarred from living through a bunch of SD winters in my childhood. Those my friend aren't for sissies. I remember days on end blizzards followed by extreme below-zero temps. I'm not sure if it is still that way out there. Maybe they should be thankful for global warming (if there was such a thing). But anyway, I just returned from my usual walk. My (much older) sister sent me a website for an exercise place nearby here. I think she was trying to make a point. I didn't get the point. Other than those places scare me. She goes to 'class' a few times a week to stay in shape. I walk. Daily. Don't get me wrong. I'm a bit loose here and there. It comes from pregnancy and age. But I enjoy my walks. Today it was a rain/sleet mixture. In the low 40's. The dog is running free and happy. I'm alone with my thoughts and loving it. People look at me like I'm strange out in this weather. But if you're dressed for it, it's all good. Which leads me to fleece. What a great invention! I live in it. It is light. Warm. And mostly water repellent. I love it. And then there's those leaves. This is like a run-on paragraph, but I just can't bullet point again. My blog faithfuls would think it would be monotonous. The leaves. We watch them each year fall. But have you ever, ever seen the exact leaf you're looking at that very moment drop from a tree? I never have. I keep trying year after year after year to watch and watch and hope that at 'the moment' it releases from the tree and falls to the ground that I'll witness it. But I haven't. I think I'll go to my grave without the experience. But hey! It makes me look forward to fall. I put some fake gold/red leaves in the window boxes now. It looks festive and fall-like. But they're fake and that troubles me a bit. You see my Grandma Anderson hated fake flowers with a perfect hatred. I feel that way too. But it'll work this time. The house is all cozy and clean and smells nice. We've got guests coming. A gy-normous nephew dog. Remember last weekend? Yep. Lisi and Mavrick will be at it again. But this time in the confines of our backyard and not at a campsite. I wish you could tell dogs ahead of time what's about to happen. But really, they don't need to know do they. So back to work I go. Looking forward to family and friends coming this weekend. It's good. It's all good.

5 comments:

  1. oh your blog faithfuls aren't all that picky..i enjoyed this..sounded a bit like myself! you are an inspiration to me although you may never know it (except i tell you all the time)...my MAJOR goal is to get up and take a walk everymorning at like 6am. major.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a FALL person, however when the temps started 'falling' last week...so did my spirits. But we are back on track close to 60 this weekend...that is what I am talking about...winter can just wait it's turn.

    Have a beautiful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like walking, too. If we lived closer, I'd go walking with you and Lisi. Or maybe you prefer to go it alone? In that case, I'd walk behind you and Lisi and not talk. You wouldn't even know I was there. Really.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved hearing about Fall,...and leaves falling or not! It's my favorite season too...and I miss seeing true Fall colors down here. I actually was dreaming about red Japanese Maple trees the other day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. MMMmmm Fall! It really is my favorite season--as long as it doesn't act like blah winter days or freezy winter days that is! I'd prefer to forget that winter is just around the corner, but it doesn't really stop me from enjoying the beauty & feel of the season either.

    ReplyDelete