Friday, July 1, 2011

Senseless thoughts

Why do I have a picture of two pitiful little baby birds?  Well they fell out of the nest.  And actually, for one of them, it was the second time.  You see Mrs. Robin must be a first-timer.  She first built a nest a month or so ago and that nest had three beautiful eggs that blew right out of the tree.  The nest hung on by a thread.  So she abandoned that idea and moved on to another type of tree.  This time babies hatched, but the nest is again dangling precariously.  Today we had a lot of wind.  And as I walked under the nest I saw one dead baby bird and a live one.  Plopped him/her back into the nest and an hour later went to check.  Found two out this time.  I'm afraid to go look again.  Hoping they stayed put.  Or let mother nature have her way.

Mother nature isn't all that fair or sweet.  Mrs. Mallard has lost three babies between last week and this week.  And for some reason I haven't seen Mr. Mallard lately.  I'm hoping he isn't in the belly of a coyote with his three babies.

One of the new favorite activities in this house is making duct tape wallets.  I kid you not.  Take a roll of duct tape (pretty colors are best) and create a wallet out of it.  Who'd a thunk?

Two of the MYP are gone.  Actually it is both daughters having time with a set of grandparents.  So Son #1 has thoroughly enjoyed us to himself.  Sorta.  As a parent, there is great joy in seeing your kids really loving to all be together again.  I hope some years down the road when I am old and gray or maybe even gone already that our three MYP still enjoy each others' company.  Pssst.  Don't tell them, but my mostly nice brother and slightly older sister are very dear to me.


I almost feel bad for my solo pity party I had a couple days ago.  You see I live a life of privilege most all the time.  We get to be with others.  Be in lots of gatherings.  I don't miss much.  And we do have places we are hoping to attend in the near future.  So now that my pity party is over, I hope you haven't felt sorry for me too much.  Oh, no one did?  Well thanks anyway.


There is to be a party across the street tomorrow.  We're even invited! But you see we have other plans that I'll mention next.  The homeowner is a Big Shot with the major-league baseball team in our city.  The party isn't your run-of-the-mill bring your own burgers to grill kind of party.  It includes (and I kid you not), face painting from 2-4.  food from 4-6 (what if someone gets hungry at 7?), a magician at 5 (maybe he makes your food disappear?), live band at 6:30... followed by fireworks at 10:30.  Oh, did I mention the bounce house, slip-n-slide, and games?  The fireworks have had a few practice runs.  They are huge.  Like big ones that a city buys for their 4th celebration.  cRaZY I say!  I may be poking in my trusty earplugs at some point tomorrow evening!

But!  Tomorrow is a special day for the Chairman!  A Happy Birthday kind of special day!  I could get all schmaltzy and say umpteen things on why he's such a wonderful husband, father, son, friend, and so forth, but I won't.  If you know him, you know...

1 comment:

  1. Hopping on to tell you I didn't see your pity party earlier but I sure did think about you. Feasted today, we did. Uncle Alan looks healthy and wonderful.

    ReplyDelete