Sunday, September 25, 2011

A woman of virtue

The heart of her husband trusted her.  She worked willingly with her hands.  She laid her hands to the spindle and her hands held the distaff.  She stretched out her hands to the poor... and the needy.

She was a "Mother in Israel" and also to two shepherds in our state.  She was a talented seamstress.  And she had a very open home.

She died in a place that was safe.  She died in a place surrounded with those that loved her.  And in our human minds, she died too soon.  But we cannot question.

I didn't know her personally.  I have spoken briefly to her only a few times.  But I really didn't need to know her.  The fruit of her life showed.  The evidence of her joy was far-reaching.  And so we mourn.  We mourn for the family that is facing a huge loss.  We mourn for those close to her that were encouraged each week by what she would share.  And we mourn.  Because that is what a family does when a loss is felt.

6 comments:

  1. If this were on Facebook, I would press the "Like" button...but perhaps that's what makes Blogs better. If we feel compelled to respond it has to be in words. This is so very well said. I did not know her either, but have met her "shepherd" children...and know some that DO know her and their feeling of loss is very evident.

    ReplyDelete
  2. very well expressed, Linda...she will certainly be missed...

    ReplyDelete
  3. ...special post,special lady. Well said. Knew her a bit back when the youngest joined the famiy. I was in their home every week for a few months. Sad for those left.......

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think what touches me so much about "our" family is that I don't even have to know the person to be touched so deeply. This woman by your words, and her life have inspired me to keep on pursuing. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know her, but from what I've heard about her in the last few days, she must have been wonderful. My heart goes out to those who will miss her the most.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the comments here, I can only say "ditto". We heard so much about influence at York, and I think this is another good example of that.

    ReplyDelete