Thursday, December 18, 2014

Thoughts this Thursday

How's your week going?  Mine is going by too quickly.  Here it is Thursday already!  A week from today we'll be having a few less than 100 people in our house.  Or maybe 35 people that are Italian, married an Italian, or just plain like Italian people.  I can smell the garlic already.  Heh.

Speaking of food!  We had a cookie exchange a couple days ago.  We used to do it every year and then we kinda fizzled out.  Then some of us decided we need more fats and sugars in our lives and wanted to do it again.  Friends did not disappoint.
 Another friend shared this recipe for focaccia.  It is very yummy and full of gluten.
I saw this on my notepad.  I have no idea which of the MYP wrote it or why, but maybe that's a good lesson for all of us some days.
I called to schedule my annual mammogram yesterday.  Just as I started to set up the appointment, Simba decided to do some serious caterwauling because he wanted to be picked up.  "Denise" asked, 'is that a cat?'  Yes.  I said 'oh he's just an indoor/outdoor gold tiger tom'.  Then "Denise" said, 'that's just what we had!' and proceeded to basically describe our Simba.  So we shared kitty tales back and forth and approximately seven minutes later she says, well maybe we should start setting up an appointment for you!  At the end I found it interesting that she asked if in the last 30 days I traveled to a country that has Ebola...

I went to see a local chiropractor yesterday.  There was a free consultation so I thought why not since he's only 5 minutes from me.  As he was doing his examination he asked, 'do you do yoga?'.  Um no.  You're extremely flexible!  Well maybe my body might be, but don't try to change my mind anytime soon...

We are in the holiday season of Christmas concerts.  Our high school (as many of yours I'm sure) puts on an incredible show of talent and music to the ears.   Last night did not disappoint at all.  In fact, the top boys of our high school sang a song I had never heard of.  It is called "Bui Doi" and it is from the musical "Miss Saigon".  It is a song of the Vietnamese orphans after the war.  Between the music and the lyrics I was stricken with tears.  Part of the reason is because anything touching can make my eyes wet.  And the other bigger part is that once you've adopted one of these precious souls, your heart is soft for the others left behind.  If you want to hear a version, here's one that I found on YouTube.

And finally, a friend of mine shared a quote she saw that I like.  "Live in such a way that if someone spoke badly of you no one would believe it".  I better start practicing.


3 comments:

  1. That end comment is a lovely one to try to live up to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am insanely jealous about some of those cookies and treats on that plate! ;) (I'm going to go have nachos with homemade salsa to comfort myself!)
    I am thankful for those whom I know whom that quote describes.
    I'm also glad that the medical community is being vigilant about Ebola.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't care who has a roast, ham or prime rib..... nothing beats the Orlando's Italian food!!!............ will miss you all!

    ReplyDelete