Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Way-late Wednesday Words

It's just 10:00 on a Wednesday night.  For me, this is 'way-late'.  I'm usually about ready to flick off the light about now.

One of the MYP presented me with a lovely gift yesterday.  He said, 'you don't have to get up in the morning for R or me since you don't have to make lunches'.  Really-truly?  It's finals week here so they've been home by 11:00 every day.   I've enjoyed the extra half-hour in the morning compliments to a thoughtful son.  

The other day I asked one of the MYP about my advice.  I said, 'can you think of any piece I've given you that is really, really good or really, really bad?'.  There was a slight giggle and this response, 'well usually when you are giving advice I try to tune you out'.  How's that for a parenting confidence booster?  

Her sister gave me this advice, 'you sound really ornery when you yell out our names from low to high pitch.  Why don't you say it from high to low.  It sounds nicer.'.  And really, she's right.  Try it!

I posted this gem on FB.  As I was talking to our son in his room before bed he said, 'do you know the nice thing about being a guy?'  I had no clue where he was going with this.  So I said, 'no.  What is it?'.  'Guys just don't have stress like girls do.'  That, my friend, kind of sums up a lot of things.  

We've been doing some practice driving around here.  I'm having a major struggle with something.  No, not having full control of the steering wheel.  My struggle is that when I look over to see my dear daughter driving, I just picture an adorable chubby little baby that was just here a few years ago.  I try to mention it and receive a sweet smile and a slight eye-roll.  Time is moving too quickly.  

Last night I went to pick up son #1 and a neighbor boy off the ski hill.  I was feeling a bit frustrated as they were not at the loading zone at the exact moment I drove up.  My patience was tested for 5, 10, 15 minutes.... and finally I hopped out of the van and stood a bit away from the chair lift hoping to get the attention of at least one of them that it was time to come home.  I see a lighter-green coat.  I start waving the 'come over to me' wave.    I kind of think I made some young guy a bit uneasy out on the ski hill as well...

Is there anything wrong with having breakfast food for supper?  I hardly think so but I have a young person that doesn't agree with me.  We've been boiling down sap into maple syrup here.  I sure would love to pour that over a dutch baby tomorrow.  Well not a real-live Dutch baby silly, but a yummy pancake in a skillet dutch baby.

Speaking of maple syrup and perfect timing!  Our newspaper published a recipe someone requested from Outpost Natural foods for a salad they serve.  I read the recipe and thought it was a bit odd, but wanted to try it out.  It is deliciousness!  It seems to be too much salt, but the sweet/saltiness of the dressing makes it terribly addicting.  You're welcome.  I changed the canola to olive oil.  And we use Earthbound Farm "Power" greens from Costco.  It makes 2 cups of dressing to keep in fridge

Spinach Salad with Maple Vinaigrette Dressing
1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
3/4 cup maple syrup
3/4 cup olive oil
1 tablespoon sea salt

baby spinach or "Power" if you want to take it up a notch
onion
dried cranberries
sugared, roasted nuts (I keep a mix of walnuts/almonds/pecans in freezer)
feta cheese

Lisi and I discovered a new path yesterday.  She's really a great walking partner and she really, really loves to pose.  :-)  Happy rest of the week!  


3 comments:

  1. Yum. I am so making this dressing/salad. Thank you, and I noticed you've already said Your Welcome. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard "the I just tune you out" before. But, I flew on the premise that repetition will put them on auto pilot. I'm not sure how well it worked.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've heard "the I just tune you out" before. But, I flew on the premise that repetition will put them on auto pilot. I'm not sure how well it worked.

    ReplyDelete