Monday, March 23, 2015

Monday Musings

I was so happy to wake up this morning knowing it was Monday and I could Muse.  Actually, I awoke to the sound of steps pounding on the stairway and out the door.  I looked at my clock and realized I didn't set my alarm last night!  So the high schoolers got up and themselves out the door by 6:35 and that included feeding Lisi and letting the cat in from a night out on the town.  Kudos to them!

I feel like I have lots I'd like to Muse today, so will have to do a "Reader's Digest Condensed" version today so your eyes don't glaze over or start bleeding.

It was snowing again this morning.  The awe and wonder of the first snowflakes coming down in the late fall is replaced by grumblings and grimaces on March 23.

The un-official/official stats are in on the latest poll about favorite seasons.  Here are the favorites:
Spring - 34%, Summer - 30%, Fall - 19%, Winter - 3%, and liking all seasons the same - 11%.  What does that tell me?  Not much other than we are a very diverse group of people.  On a side note, I tend to fall with the 11% these days.  Except for February.  I still am not into that month all that much.

I tried the "My Fitness Pal" app a couple weeks ago.  As soon as lunch was over, it told me I only had 300 calories left to eat.  So I turned it off.  Ignorance is bliss.  And I was frustrated as I don't keep my phone with me at all times and probably walked 12,000 steps that were never recorded.

Speaking of weight loss.  I remember a friend some years older than me telling me about middle-age metabolism.  I nodded along in private skepticism as she told me how the body changes thinking it wouldn't happen to me.  Well it did.  When I was younger, I could think about losing five pounds and cut back one green bean and voila!  The weight came off.  Now I can avoid all sweets, limit carbs, walk an extra 20 minutes a day, refuse snacks, drink ballerina tea (a post all of its own), watch portions like a hawk, and then gain two pounds.

Teenagers would rather use a roll of paper towels to blow their nose than to walk down a flight of stairs to get a box of "kleenex" from the storage area.  I just discovered this has been going on for over a week.  And they never, NEVER would want to make two trips carrying in groceries.  Speaking of which, I had a nice shopping/supper date with this sweetie:


We have officially outgrown the tooth fairy.  Not only are the lost teeth not put under a pillow, there are no requests for money for the aforementioned lost tooth.

I had two social engagements last week.  I rarely tell all my friends how much I appreciate them.  But I do.  They are such a help to me in so many ways.

Except for the one that heckles me about my shopping abilities.  I just spent nearly two hours trying to decide which shoes to buy.  I got all hot and sweaty and then cold and clammy as I stood there looking at the aisle upon aisle of shoes.  Ick.  I would love a personal shopper but she would have to be as frugal as I am.

The last three times I've been to Aldi, I've passed my cart to someone else and they refuse my quarter.  So I've come ahead 75 cents in three trips.  What a deal!

I've been receiving medical bills for the small procedure I had two months ago.  The numbers are mind-boggling.  I cannot imagine what it would be for a major procedure.

A solicitor came to the door for a certain church.  As I opened the door she said, 'wow, it smells just delicious in here!" (I was making sauce for lasagna and spaghetti.)  She was so distracted she almost forgot to give me her pamphlet.

Sam's Club or Costco?  I have both memberships and like them both for different reasons.  So I am two-timing and am not ashamed.  Which do you like better?

I have a big order for cinnamon rolls and bread for a school fundraiser this coming week.  I cannot wait to get started since I love working with yeast breads.  But the lady that called again this year for my contributions was just in awe when I told her about grinding the wheat.  I could have told her I churn the butter too and I think she would have believed me.  Heh...  She wondered if I would show people how it is done.  Kind of like a museum display I reckon.  I could dress in period clothing.  Tee-hee.

We had a potluck yesterday with people that feed our soul each week.  I love the love we feel for each other.







Well this is not a condensed version!  I have a new poll up!  Happy Monday!  I hope you find some a-Muse-ment in your day and have a wonderful week ahead.


4 comments:

  1. -Let me explain my sheet vote! Since we sometimes only spend 2 or 3 nights a week in our apartment, I chose 'when they're gray'...since there was no every 3 or 4 weeks option! Also- I am very clean. Very. ;)
    -It always makes me happy to see 'voila' spelled correctly. Ahhhhh.
    -I also would love a personal shopper. I sort of have one. Two, in fact. One of which isn't even female. Both of these people love to shop and always know who has what, when and for how much. And both buy stuff and send it to me! And both are right here in Ukr. It's AMAZING!!!!
    -Um. If you pass your cart on to someone else, shouldn't they be giving YOU a quarter? I'm confused.
    -You should just not set your alarm any more. Ahem. giggle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You don't want to know what large procedures cost, and I hope you don't have to. And, I'm right up there with you with shoes. Perhaps we could make a shoe shopping trip together sometime, we could look all over and go home with nothing. Ha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually, it hurts to buy most anything. I'm such a tightwad. (not frugal, this is worse.) :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. When shoe shopping, I have started using the band-aid approach. Painful but quick. Know your favorite brands, have the sales person bring out all they have in that brand in the specific color and general style I want, and then choose from them as long as at least one of the pairs feels comfortable. Then pay your money and leave as soon as possible. Not the best deal always, but it saves time, and time is money. :-)

    ReplyDelete