Thursday, March 12, 2015

Thoughts this Thursday

All's quiet here at the Chairman and Co.  Actually, there is a din of noise coming from the basement right now.  But with an active family, that is considered 'quiet'.  The Chairman returned to work.  Daughter #1 is watching a high school production with a friend.  And since we are down to 'just' two of the MYP and a neighbor boy, it's considered quiet.

I tend to be a little slow on the uptick of new things.  In this case it happens to be about steel cut oats.  I've seen the recipes.  I've heard the accolades.  Finally.  Finally!  I bought some organic quick cook steel cut oats at my favorite Aldi.  I'm hooked.  I love them and have eaten a serving each and every morning for the past week with a generous spoon of chia seeds thrown in.  Yum I say!  Maybe next time I see a recommendation for something, it won't take me a year or so to try it out.

I had a delightful day today!  Why wouldn't it be when I spent time with these ladies?  
We took our mom birthday shopping and had some success.  And some lunch.  It was nice and I'm once again thankful for family that lives nearby enough to drive an hour to spend time like that together.  When I married and moved to dairyland over 20 years ago, all my family was hours and hours away.  I like to think my irresistible personality led them to live closer.  Heh.  

Someone shared this picture to me this week.  It made me smile.  And my heart almost ache at the same time for how quickly children grow.
You're probably thinking, this doesn't look that special.  Well let me tell you what it is.  You see years and years ago when son #1 was approximately five, we were having lunch at a restaurant with a lively and fun lady named 'Grace'.  She was friends of my sister and son #1 didn't know her at all.  However, she had (and probably still has) a way with kids.  She would talk to them and be silly and just made them feel all good inside.  Well son #1 wanted to tell her in his little-boy ways that he liked her.  So he wrote on the paper (I'm correcting his spelling).  "For you Grace.  You are my favorite Grace"  She said it still is hanging in her pantry and it still makes her smile.  I'm thankful she shared it with me because it also made me smile and it also made me realize what a few years does to little boys.  Hopefully he doesn't end up with a girlfriend named 'Grace' or she'll have to take that paper down from her pantry.

Do you feel like I do about Spring?  I LOVE spring.  Even the mushy, muddy, murky spring.  Today I took an early walk this morning and suddenly I heard it!  The beautiful sound of a robin.  We've had bird chirps all winter, but not the melodic sound of a robin's song.  I had to turn around and look and look into a big tree until I saw him/her.  I must admit my eyes got misty (being the nutty, emotional person I am).  Knowing that bird has returned tells me spring is here.  We survived yet another winter!  It just added a spring in my step (pun very much intended) as I headed back home.

The other day, Lisi and I had to be out of the house for an hour while some floor guys came to do some work.  We walked for quite awhile and then I decided to stop under a tree and just hang out in the quietness.  Lisi thought something may have been wrong with me because she suddenly sat down and leaned against me and watched for whatever she was looking for.  I had to take a picture because I'm one of those people that think their dog is cute.
And finally, the poll!  I see 49 people participated so it definitely is a scientific poll.  Or not.  But here's what I discovered of the 49 that took the time.  71% know me or my family.  20% don't know me or my family.  6% may or may not know my family (you silly people).  And!  1% wondered why in the world they were at the Chairman and Co. website.  (hope you come back soon!).  I might put up another one now.  It might be lame so please don't judge. 

And finally.  Just because... 



2 comments:

  1. I'm not an oatmeal fan, but I've discovered I can eat OF oats with enough raisins for three in every bite. Since I've discovered I LOVE cracked wheat, I thought I would try the steel cut oats. No go, worse than the other. Blaah. So, I eat OF oats once in a while so hubby doesn't get tired of the wheat.

    ReplyDelete