Monday, June 8, 2015

Monday Musings

Ahhhh summertime, summertime, sum-sum-summertime!  It's almost here!  The weather feels like it is here.  The yard and buds and blooms and birds make it feel like it is here.  But we go by the school year and as of Friday noon, it is finally here!

I told the MYP this morning that we need to all sit down and discuss self-imposed limitations on electronics.  Decide how we will handle chores, and have each of them put 3-5 items on a bucket list of what they really, really want to do this summer and 1-2 of them can cost money and the rest should be basically free.  (I'm frugal like that.)

One of my friends put on FB that she was signing off for summer.  She wanted to focus on her young family and enjoy all the moments.  It pricked my conscience.  I admire that immensely.  I wish I could go "inactive" and come back September 1 to see if everyone is still posting pictures of their lunch and adorable grandchildren.  I probably won't go "inactive", but I'll definitely not be checking status updates as much.  Blogging might continue, but maybe not regular Monday-morning programming each and every week.

In case you are wondering, I celebrated National Doughnut Day.  One of the local gas stations/convenience stores has utterly delicious doughnuts (really, you should try them!).  They texted me that they were offering a free doughnut on NDD.  So I went and got my freebie.  I then picked up another dozen to let the MYP indulge and freeze the rest.  I just wish NDD was monthly.  Then again, maybe not or I would be buying fat pants.
Isn't this neat?  They even were celebrating my birthday too!
We had a table full yesterday.  I enjoy sharing our home and our food with others.  However, after planning a meal, I don't like thinking of a dessert.  Say!  Son #1 made crepes a month or so ago and he did a right-dandy job, so I asked if he wanted to do it again.  He did and this time filled them with a choice of gelato flavor and drizzled with homemade chocolate sauce.  I think we've got a plan now for awhile.  Ha.

I love our pets.  I love love love our pets.  However I don't love them for one reason (besides needing to continually vacuum up dirt/hair).  I don't like having to find arrangements for their care when we are away.  I don't like the thought of them wondering where we are.  I don't like the feeling of being in a beautiful place with my family and missing the two furry creatures we left behind.  So if you want to come house/pet sit, I have a 'golden' opportunity for you!  (pun intended)

The Chairman and I left the other night for a walk.  I was about a block from home when I looked down at my feet.  The Chairman looked at me like I had lost my last marble.


Our newspaper had a recipe - if you call it that - for making cold coffee.  Take 3/4 cup of ground coffee and let it sit in a jar with two cups room temperature water.  Let steep for 12 hours.  Strain in a coffee filter and store in the fridge.  Then take 1/4 cup of this strong joe and add 1 cup of milk, cream, water, or what fancies you and voila!  Iced coffee for a fraction of the cost of the gas and money to get one at a coffee shop.  I have mine steeping as I type.

We have seven of our friends graduating this year.  There will be a city-wide picnic this weekend and I am looking forward to it so very much!  I love our local young people.  This year is especially poignant as our firstborn would have graduated this year too.  Hard to take in how time passes so quickly.  I notice there is a distinct differences in the faces of parents of newborns in the hospital and the faces of parents standing by their graduates.  Not saying they look 'old', but I am saying there are a lot of little faces washed, clothes cleaned, lunches packed, discipline given, wounds tended, hugs needed, prayers offered, and worried lines grown on the faces of parents that have successfully helped their young people to this point.

Well this is maybe enough Musing for this Monday.  I have a few miles I'd like to walk.  I intend to wear the same shoe on both feet.  Happy week ahead!

3 comments:

  1. Do you have another pair often is shoes just like that home? Heh heh. Janie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I goofed on my typing. It should have said ....do you have another pair of tennis shoes just like those at home? Heh. Janie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am totally the same way about leaving the pets when we go!!

    ReplyDelete