Thursday, December 10, 2009

Friends



Last night I was addressing envelopes for our annual picture. It got me thinking about friends and pictures and such. We are blessed with friends. Good ones. We are a part of a faith that has a fellowship with others that makes them all true friends... so much that it is a family. And we are thankful that there are a lot of them. Dear friends. When we moved to this house over a year ago I wanted to update our bulletin board. At our other home the pictures over-ran the board and so I figured I'd buy a bigger one. It is now overflowing and I was thinking how thankful I am for that. A good problem. Too many friends? That's impossible.

I was thinking of those we receive pictures from. And I was thinking of those we don't receive pictures from. Good friends who don't have a picture to share. I wonder if they feel like others don't really care (we do! we do!). Or if they feel it is a hassle getting the family all together for a picture (it is! it is!). There are a few families that I send a photo off to year after year. They say they like them. And I believe them. But! I'd love theirs! They are special and kind and gracious. And I'd love to share a wee space on my overflowing bulletin board with them!

And I was also thinking of friendships. Many talk of a 'best friend'. It sounds nice. But as Don Williams croons... the Chairman is my 'best friend'. And I don't think I have another. My sister and sister-in-law are probably the closest. And then there are the others. Each have a special place. Some because of a job, a neighborhood, a shared experience in life (death, birth), or maybe our kids are friends. And some have become friends because of the gift of the web ~ cyberfriends if you will. Nonetheless... I'm glad for so many because each bring a very unique gift. A personality that no one else has. Sometimes I think I'd like to be a better friend. If I was like 'so and so' maybe I'd be nicer and more interesting and maybe even more funny. But I am me and with a little grace given, I will be exactly who I should be for each one.

p.s. thanks for being my friend!
p.p.s. did you send your picture yet?

5 comments:

  1. p.s. I love your new picture there on the side bar too!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful post!
    I love thinking about my friends, Seems like we have friends for different stages/parts of our life.
    I love thinking about my cyber friends too, and how much I would enjoy meeting them, getting acquainted in person over a cup of coffee... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Fredericks from MarylandDecember 10, 2009 at 11:55 AM

    umm...we haven't even got our picture taken yet...guess I had better get going...thanks for your post and for being a great friend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm waiting to get yours in my mailbox before I send you mine. ;-) Just kidding!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i hope you send us a beautiful one of you! i put pics of the fam on fb. thinking about maybe doing an old fashioned family photo at JC Penney or something just for old times' sake...
    life would be very dull without a friend like you!

    ReplyDelete