Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Painting Ponders

As some of you know I've done battle with a bathroom. I had a brilliant idea to paint a bathroom dark red. It is the main one upstairs that is mainly used by T-man and company. He liked the idea and so it went. I went to a local big box store that sells a multitude of things including a particular paint brand I like and have used before (and has reached #1 in paint ratings by Consumer Reports). This one has paint and primer in one. How great is that? Or is it? So the first coat goes on. Yuck. The second... still a bit yuck. Shadows. Streaks showing. Last night buy another gallon of just the paint thinking that it'll go over the last 2 coats dandy. But get this. "Loretta" who waited on me to get my paint mixed said with great authority, 'you mean you didn't prime with gray first? You must or it won't turn out right.' Thanks Loretta. You might want to mention to 'Carl' that he omitted telling me that when he sold me the paint/primer in one. So I rolled on coat # 3 this morning and it almost covered. But not quite. The Chairman is being quite positive on my ordeal (probably to keep me going). And so my paintbrush is drying. And after a couple of days, I'll look at it and not care so much. So... if you happen to graciously step foot into our home and spend the night and go into the red bathroom, please don't look too closely. It gets a good strong C+ for quality. But I'm exhausted. Bathroom - 1, Me - 0. (p.s. thanks to a lot of you for suggestions).

And I'm wasteful. I HATE cleaning out paintbrushes too much. I do wrap rollers with wet paper towels to keep them going. But rinsing them out for a very long time seem tedious after doing the actual paint job.

Do people actually buy the popcorn that comes in those tins this time of year? They usually have an assortment of butter, cheese, and caramel? Question is how old the popcorn actually is? And what type of preservative is put on it if homemade popcorn tastes stale in one day? And who actually buys it? Someone desperate for a 'gift' I reckon. And where do all these holiday tins end up? Goodwill? The landfill?

Did you know that in five days winter starts? That sounds weird. But! The days start getting longer. And that doesn't sound weird. Sounds wonderful.

I managed to do 11 dozen biscotti this week. It is for an annual cookie exchange. And it was putzy (spellcheck says that isn't a word). And time consuming. But the brunch is worth it!

Last night I trudged through Sam's with the three smaller people here. They were all so agreeable. Kind. Fun. And even funny. At one point I stopped and looked at all three circled around the mammoth cart and thought, 'I'm so incredibly lucky.' They looked at me and one said, 'what?'. Nothing. You know but you don't. If you had a clue how much we wanted your little soul. How much we yearned for each one of you for a different reason... but you don't. And you don't have to know. All you need to know is you're secure in our home. In our family. And you're loved. I am living the life I only dreamed about ten years ago. And it is so very good. Even the mess!

We have some very busy days ahead over the holiday time. There will be a lot of comfort and joy. And I'll love to share about it once it is over...

2 comments:

  1. I hate painting!! It's just such a messy job. I have one dark red/purplish wall & that's enough! We didn't do gray primer either, didn't know but since it's the patio door wall not much of it shows so 5 coats did it! Yes, you're so lucky to have 3 little dreams!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't imagine primer & paint in one working for red paint! HA--obviously it didn't. We were lucky the first time we did it they told us to use the dark primer, & we didn't have to go thru the pain of figuring it out. I can't imagine anyone who works in that area not being trained enough to tell people the right thing. Red will still take two coats with the right primer, but more than two....UGGGG!!! That's terrible! (and EXPENSIVE!)

    ReplyDelete