Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Stormy thoughts

I claim I don't like winter. Despise it actually. The cold. The snow. The wet. The muck. The dark. It all is unappealing. Or is it? I was watching the forecast a few days ago. It looked like a big one coming. And it was (although bigger just west of us I reckon). But 10" or so isn't anything to sneeze at (unless a cold is setting in). And it was a thrill again. The first big one of the year. Why is it we all scurry off to the grocery store to stock up? Well I do. Comes from the blizzards on the prairie as a child. You did need to stock up as you might be 'storm stayed' for days on end. But we're in Wisconsin. Milder here you know. But still stormy. So we fill the cupboards, button down the hatches, bring in the wood for the stove and voila! A storm! And it's wonderful and cozy and fun. And the 5:19 am call telling us there'd be no school today was annoying (for the hour), yet a joy. For the small fry. They clamored outside with pj's under their snow gear. Made some impressive forts. Had a few fights. A few tears. A bit of sledding on the mound, and then came in for hot chocolate and breakfast. Happy sigh. Winter. Don't get me wrong... summer is by far my favorite season. But this... is nice. And cozy. And special.

I filled the bird feeders yesterday so that our little feathered friends would have something to nibble on. But every time I look out I see a huge flock being chased from tree to tree by the dog. Maybe I should put her in the garage so that they can rest and eat. If someone did that to her while she was trying to eat her kibble, she'd be annoyed.

I like Christmas carols. Still enjoying "Christmas Canon" a lot. And the classics. Josh Groban does "O Holy Night" in a lovely way. But with my love of music and singing and softer sounds, why is James Taylor's voice so annoying? I can't stand anything he does. (sorry if you're a fan). But sometimes silence is better. Or a thought of a hymn.

So the crock pot is making our meal tonight. And four loaves of bread are on the rise. And once winter sets in, the hankering for good old-fashioned out of the oven caramel corn calls. Yum. But I think I better walk in the winter wonderland first. My waistline will thank me later...

Stay warm! And enjoy the season! Yeah right. Tell me that some summer night when the crickets are chirping and the soft breeze is blowing and the sun is setting at 9:30...


2 comments:

  1. We're supposed to get the storm tonight. I was happy all day anticipating getting our first "good" storm. I'm hoping it turns out to be snow and not boring old rain and sleet. If it's going to be cold, I say bring on the snow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to go shopping to make sure I have the doughnut ingredients on hand. They were yummy with our 11" on of snow. Two days off and now it is zero.

    ReplyDelete