Monday, December 7, 2009

More on Monday

Sick of bullet points yet? I'm not. Lets see...

* It was Lisi's birthday on Saturday. And we didn't do a thing for her. You'd think with all the stories and glamor of her life that she'd be recognized for something. Nope. Just a big bone was tossed her way at one point. Maybe next year. We were busy on Saturday...

* With Rayna's 5th grade basketball team. She rode the coattails of success. Several on her team were good. Like real good. Like excellent ball-handling skills. And they ended up 3rd out of 13 teams at the end of the tournament. Sure was fun!

* And Trevor. My dear boy after my own heart was fishing for money with a hockey stick under the bleachers (you couldn't access them from either side, so if something was dropped into the abyss... well it was gone unless you went fishing for it). I've taught him well. He ended up with enough to buy a ring pop and some chips I think... I told him instead of doing that should just fish around in people's pants pockets to save them the problem of dropping the money.

* He's into guns. Hunting. Fishing. You name it. And pestering his sisters. But we won't mention that this time. Anyway, back to guns. I have never encouraged such. But it's in him. And so he found a website that shows you on a video step-by-step how to make guns out of paper. And so nearly a ream of our computer paper gone and a ton of tape, we have an AK-47 and an MP-5 sitting on the desk next to me.

* I'm fighting a never-ending battle with clutter. The aforementioned guns. The paper dolls. The junk 'won' at a local pizza establishment. I throw. Reuse. Tell them to figure out what to do with it. But it is building up. And I am not a clutter person. Period.

* Someone in our area is finishing their journey here. This dear lady full of grace could have been a queen. She has five very lovely grown children. And a host of other great relatives. But what stands out to me personally the most was that she was kind. To me. As a very little girl at a birthday party at her house. She saw that I hadn't 'won' anything. After it was all over and the cake was to be had, she called me out of the room. Told me I had behaved very nicely and handed me a little plastic doll. I was thrilled right down to my toes. Thankful. And never forgot her kindness to me. A little girl. Trying hard not to be sad. And so... 40 years later I remember. And I realize what an enormous responsibility we have to be kind to little ones. To the elderly. To our peers. And especially to those within the walls of our own home. Kindness goes a very long ways. And it is necessary. And good. And right.

* And so the bread is in the oven. The chili is waiting to be made. The washer is needing to spin. The house needs to be de-cluttered. And so I must go...

5 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing that beautiful memory of Grandma. Brought tears to my eyes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok- I guess I got my answer from Sarah's comment. A great generation is passing on...

    ReplyDelete
  3. who? maybe don't know her..another kind woman passed and her funeral tomorrow over where we used to live...she was an upright woman...nice post, Linda. my boys are WAY into guns too...when you have a chance wanna send that paper making website my way..i'll regret knowing but i'll be a hero for a day...it might be worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a boy like your boy with his AK 47, perhaps you remember us when we visted a few years ago with Bon.

    ReplyDelete