Monday, February 15, 2010

Clean fingernails

Yep. It died. The dishwasher. The "old" dishwasher that was purchased by previous owners of this home in the fall of '06. And it decided for a second time to protest the stinky dishes being put within. So it left some scummy water in the bottom and then for a good measure decided to melt some wires on a control panel. "Jeff" the eager repair-guy came out and surveyed the damage. Revealed the issues. He even called "Chicago" to see about the cost of parts. I didn't know "Chicago" had one number. But anyway, "Chicago" gave the info he needed. Then he told me the cost of repairs would range in the $300's. Cough. Sputter. Did you see a money tree in the front yard? And nothing against you "Jeff", but we saw you a mere 18 months ago for a completely other issue. Plus what gives me the heebies is that 'Consumer Reports' doesn't give a good report on the Kitchen Aid repair chart. So... what to do. What to do. Have "Jeff" order parts. Have "Jeff" rewire the entire unit? Or... take the plunge into the world of appliance research?

So for now I'm enlisting the cheap child labor. In fact yesterday one of the many small children here said, 'this is just like the old days mom'. Another said, 'it's fun working like this together'. And so we will... until the Chairman does his proper research. And until the Dawn bottle runs dry.


9 comments:

  1. I have to say there is something about washing dishes in the winter. Warms the hands. Need help?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was our story over 3 years ago, after our 3rd dishwasher bit the dust. We've still got clean fingernails around here! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yikes, I guess I won't be able to show my face around there for a while. I would recommend a new dishwasher if this is the 2nd time you've repaired it in two years.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute picture! I saw a pile of dishes like that at a wedding reception once! Good luck deciding.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Would you believe we went a couple years with no dishwasher - washed all our own dishes by hand? Then we got a Bosch this past year and we are in heaven. I still stand behind my Bosch recommendation, by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bosch! You have to convince the chairman to get a Bosch.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Go for the new dishwasher! I like to spend my time doing other things. Im thinking by the time you order one and it arrives the novelty for the kids and the good ol days will have long worn off!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just noticed what massive arms you have in the picture. wowza.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just love that pic... that poor man... I sure hope he had help! Looks like cleanup after a meal at preps...

    ReplyDelete