Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Nosiness and other nothings...

Not sure why I've been thinking about this lately. But people are generally very curious. And talkative. I will say I've been guilty of enjoying a bit of good gossip at times. Lean in when someone speaks softly. But usually people don't lower their voice to say something good about another.

Life has its chapters. I turned the pages on mine slower. I did accomplish my four year's bachelor's degree within the four years. But personally, I took the slow road. I didn't really date until my 20's. Didn't fall in love until the Chairman rafted down the Colorado with me. Even though in my late 20's... still dated two years (wait a minute... that was the Chairman's doings, not mine!). Yet my cautious self was comfortable with the time period. During that time, 'when are you going to get hitched? Is your goal to be married by 30?'. You know, things like that. Then a very, very painful loss of a daughter. And other losses. 'Are you going to have a baby pretty soon?' 'How many would you like to have?' Painful questions. Yes, we'd love to have a baby soon. How many? Well that's out of our hands. Two blessed adoptions. Utter love. Then one day someone said, 'do you have just the two?'. I've heard that many times since when people inquire about children. Just two. Isn't that enough? Then we had the third. It went from 'just two' to 'my, you have your hands full'. Yep! And we're juggling besides!

Now at this chapter, the questions have nearly ceased. But really, now is when the hard questions should come from within. Are we doing what we need to do for these young souls? Are we making good life-long choices for them and for the family? Are we making good memories so some day we can all say 'those were the good ol' days'. Is the relationship I have with my spouse, extended family, friends, and a stranger what it should be? I hope so. But as another blog so eloquently posts each week, this is a "Lesson Learned". I want to be mindful of others.... realizing their chapters maybe don't mimic my own. And they are writing their story. And I am writing my own. And hopefully when the story is one day told after I'm no longer here would be that it is rich and full and has a good ending.

6 comments:

  1. I think when all your chapters are put together it'll be a best seller.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tell you what...those questions fly at me EVERYDAY...am I doing what is right and teaching them the MOST important things. It is amazing what even your kids can teach you. Kylie is always reminding me that we are different, that her story(so to speak), is not going to be the same as mine. We just have to guide I guess, but as they get older they are the ones that really choose what words get written in their books. Great post!

    Love the cartoon...the funny side of a serious subject.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These were thoughts that a busy mother thinks often. I know I do. Sometimes the chapters are being written for us and we need to take a step back and focus on what we can do to guide our children, be a little ark when the waters of life are out of control. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete