Monday, September 6, 2010

Meaningful Monday

So another week begins.  And it is meaningful.  You see someone very dear to our family died last night.  He's the father of my sister-in-law if you can follow that.  But I've actually known him all my life.  I spent two different trips whitewater rafting with him when he was an older man.  He was a quiet, steady influence.  He had fullness of days.  Was well accomplished in his natural life.  Had a large family that was a joy to him.  Loved others.  Liked things with motors.  But beyond the fullness of days, he had a fullness of Spirit.  I always felt safe to be around him.  The last years he really didn't say a lot.  But the words had weight.  The firm handshake had feeling.  The eyes showed love.  Just two weeks ago I happened to be at his home.  I tried to convey to him what he and his family meant to ours.  His quiet response, 'Oh I have nothing to be proud of'.  And then I said, 'well we have a lot to be thankful for', and he said to me, 'I have so much to look forward to'.  He said those words in a wheelchair.  With a blanket keeping his frail body warm.  Looking at the natural side, he had nothing to look forward to.  But on the other side he had everything to look forward to.  I was thankful for being near someone with such a vision.  Thankful for those moments that won't be forgotten.  And now he's gone.  And what he was looking forward to is now his.  Sweet release.

Yesterday my family was together.  Well those of us near enough to be together.  And the ones that weren't able to be with us - well we talked about you - in a good way.   My much older sister has a very worn welcome mat.  And they like it that way.  The door is always wide open for others.  The house is cozy.  The time was sweet.  Lisi even went along.  I could even post a picture or three.  I'm sorry to say I don't have one of my much older sister and her great husband.  Just dogs.  Kinda pitiful.
Lisi and her friend Mavrick

Dad loves dogs

Homemade ice cream.  Yum!

Anyway, this week is shaping up to be one of the best of the year.  Most of you know what I mean.  As dear Jack said, there's so much to look forward to.  And we do.

5 comments:

  1. Those that finish faithful . . . the encouragement is beyond words. Such a comfort knowing what loved ones go on to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those who, though weak, finish strong give those of us coming behind good reason to go on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope to see you saturday if this cold doesnt wipe out the whole family for the next week. We shall see! Good Days for you there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful testimony!

    Enjoy the best part of the year...I know we did.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for your thoughtful and very accurate description of Dad! A beautiful, heart-felt eulogy really. Thanks for giving your gift of writing to help comfort too!

    ReplyDelete