Monday, August 8, 2011

Monday Musings

Well first off, Happy Birthday yesterday to my mostly nice older brother.  He's less than one year of another big milestone.  Guess you can look at age in different ways... birthday candles on the cake are half-lit or half-unlit if you know what I mean.... Even though he's nearly 50, he still is just a young guy that was mean to me but loved me anyway.

I had a privilege yesterday.  And I'm certain this very special Grandma doesn't read blogs so I can say nice things about her.  I had over three hours alone with this young soul of 87 years.  And after our time together I felt refreshed by her influence.  She faced an incredible loss in her husband this year.  Moved from the home they shared for 50+ years.  Let go of the responsibility on Sundays to a younger family.  And she doesn't complain.  She said the new place was quiet.  The food was ok.  The flowers pretty.  And the people nice.  She could have shared for her three hours on all the things she lost.  But she didn't.  She just brimmed over on what we do have... and it made me feel small.

I'm still in my pajamas.  Now mind you they aren't all that bad.  I purchased them in the last couple years.  But according to our MYP here, they are NOT appropriate attire for driving kids to school (even though they cover more than some clothes do).  I pretended I didn't hear their protests and drove them off to their morning summer school.  But was told in no uncertain terms that I must drive only to the edge of the parking lot in case anyone would see me (through the tinted glass mind you) in my pj's.  They couldn't have gotten out of the van fast enough.  (tee-ee).  Isn't that my job to keep them humble?

We've had some squabbles over milk here.  You see the Chairman likes to drink skim to keep his manly figure cholesterol down.  So I usually have that in the fridge along with 1 or 2%.  Well we were out of the non-skim choices, so I poured a glass for one of the MYP here and there was protesting.  I don't like the taste of it.  It isn't good.  I want the other milk.  Well drink it!  It isn't that different.  I'll get more of the other the next time I go to the store.  She does with reservation and goes off to do whatever.  I eventually sit down with my toast and take a sip.  It tastes funny.  Like it is about two days short of becoming cottage cheese.  Look at the date on the jug.  Uh-oh.  I don't want to drink it...  and here I made her!  I did go and apologize to her.  She giggled.  And as yet, hasn't been felt ill.

Looking forward to the rest of this week more than I can say!  I already know it's going to be wonderful.  And that is saying a lot.

3 comments:

  1. Wonderful because you get to see ME???? Or maybe that's not why . . . . Looking forward to seeing you! (plans are made to be changed)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My daughter is flying Milwaukee way to be with her auntie. She doesn't like skim milk, either, fresh, or sour. Happy Days to you all. We enjoyed our visit so many years ago. Five years, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. re the milk- as far as I know, sour milk won't hurt you. We use the stuff that sours for pancakes. The Ukrainians (and some others) drink/eat it (depending on how sour- ie chunky- it is). I can't quite get to that- I just don't like it.
    I had a similar visit with a very dear widow a couple days ago. It was special indeed! In fact, I'm wondering if 'my widow' is a sis-in-law to 'yours'.

    ReplyDelete