Thursday, October 13, 2011

Just some sentences

Was walking through a major craft superstore this morning.  No, I'm not going to get 'crafty'.  I'll leave it up to the rest of you.  I was merely buying a birthday gift for a special friend of the girls.  But it made me feel just... I dunno.  Inadequate I think.  I'm not looking for a ton of comments on how I'm so great at this and that or the other thing.  So don't bother.  I'm just saying I felt inadequate and out of place in that lovely store.  **sigh**

On my way back home, I stopped in at the grocery store and warehouse club.  I was right in my element again.  Looking for deals on meat and checking out the freshness of the eggplant.  **happy sigh**,  At least I can cook (or at least try to).

On my way home I saw this elongated white van racing past me.  He was weaving in and out of traffic.  The side of it said XYZ Casket Company.  Either he's late for the funeral.  Or he wants to try one of the puppies out first-hand.

Thinking I need to "Fly" again, so signed up for the nagging reminder e-mails telling me which appliance to clean which day.  I'll probably put up with that nonsense for a month or so and then turn the reminders off again.

I like having company.  It makes you clean in a way that's beyond the day-to-day stuff.  You look at it through the eyes of a person coming over.  And... as you are preparing foods ahead of time, it gives you time to think about friends and/or family and why they are important in your life.  At least I do.

We got a letter this week from a dear lady that is 90 years young.  But her body is slowly failing her.  She had the strength despite dizziness and weakness to pen a two-page thank you card to us.  Reading it made me feel very small.  I just read today that nice, young ladies become nice old ladies.  I better get started.

Was listening to some old country gospel this afternoon on Pandora.  "Farther Along" came on.  It reminded me vividly of a family member no longer with us that loved that hymn.  She's gone and I miss her.  I miss her mother.  I miss my grandparents on both sides.  I wish I would have listened more and talked less.  I would love another afternoon to just sit and chat with any one of them.  But they wouldn't want to come back.  I am certain of that.  But it doesn't make us miss them any less.

Cool, gray October always hits hard and makes me think of loss.  And that's ok.  Because when you realize what you've lost, you understand all the more what you've gained.  And that's the blessing in experiences.

Sorry these aren't funny sentences.  Just thoughts as I got the meatballs rolled and set on the pan.  Lucky for me (and for our guests) I didn't lose them when somebody sneezed. (the song, silly, remember?).

6 comments:

  1. Little gems in each line...thank you!

    I know you weren't looking for "pats on the back", but I have really come to realize that we all have our special something. Your something is different then my something...but it's something. AND it's your something that make YOU special. WOW...I don't even know if I understood just what I typed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so enjoy your posts, and writing is an art too.
    I like how Darcie put it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always enjoy your thoughts. Isn't it a miracle that we have such beautiful and happy things to think about and dwell on? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am very thankful for friends who, since we don't write each other letters anymore, blog those things they uplifting, reminding, remembering, and in general give us the desire to be better people. And it's something we need often.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ditto the others.
    I like to follow someone's train of thought...

    ReplyDelete