Monday, October 31, 2011

Monday Musings

Well hello there dear peeps far and near.  And so dawns another week ahead.  Happy Halloween.!  It's all basically done here except for the noshing of nougat.  First off, here's some obligatory pictures of the goblins at our house.  
army action something

a bee, a baby, an iPhone, and a pirate!  
One of the friends from was from near.  One of the friends was from afar - like from Canada-far.  Lovely young thing she was.  

So after a beautiful Saturday of three-hours worth of trick or treating, some of the MYP decided to go again last night in the driving 40 degree-something rain and get more for "Operation Sweet Tooth" a program a local dentist does for the service people overseas.  What a gig!  He collects candy.  Yeah sure, candy is the reason for his livelihood.  But it seemed like for a good cause.  They came home with about eight more pounds of sugar.  I'd call it "Operation Sore Tooth" or "Operation Belly Ache" or even "Operation Diabetes".  I always get a bit queasy when I see mounds like this on the living room floor.  
But they show a little bit of discretion luckily.  I'm hoping I do as well.  Because this afternoon, I'm alone with their piles.  

Braces are off for son #1!  It is a very bittersweet moment.  Braces cannot get misplaced.  Retainers can.  I went dumpster diving already for an expander at the beginning of this journey.  I'm hoping I don't have to for this segment... but I must admit - it scares the willies out of me that he is responsible for something worth $205.  

I had an eye check this morning after three years.  They told me the obvious.  I need reading glasses.  And my distance needs a wee bit of correction.  So I don't know what to do now.  Do I buy drugstore glasses for reading and pretend I can see distance ok without the correction?  Or should I get progressive lenses?  It doesn't sound very progressive when you need something because you are getting old.  

So the local Costco opened.  As promised, it was a zoo.  Hopefully, things settle down once all the hoopla has passed.  Do I like it?  Sure do.  Will I go there?  Of course.  Will I spend a lot of money there?  Unfortunately.

Very soon, I'm leaving my family for some time with 'old' roommates.  And to be honest, I'm a bit nervous about it all.  Why you ask?  I feel so utterly indispensable here that I can't imagine them living their well-adjusted lives without me for two whole days.  I think my feeling of self-importance was actually shot into bits when I heard yesterday all the fun plans they have for the time I'm away.  But I like to think they'll miss me.  And I like to think they'll be happy to see me return.  And I like the fact that anytime they ask for an extra hug lately, that I take them and give them.  Because I'll miss them very soon.  

I was at the store picking up Lisi's new bag of kibble and ran into a kindly-faced lady about my age with an 8-week old golden retriever puppy tucked in the crook of her arm.  I felt like people that want babies when they see them.  I cooed over that sweet little pup named "Joe".  I should re-read old posts of when Lisi was a pup and drove me bazonkers.  I actually nearly thought about returning her to the breeder at one point.  But a puppy... a golden puppy.  Hardly a thing cuter really.   He looked like this:
Altogether now... ahhhhhh.


Well the bread dough needs to get into the pans.  Lunch needs to be eaten.  And the now-good natured pooch needs her walk.  Happy week ahead!

2 comments:

  1. aww.... can't wait to have a baby golden someday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow- I might have to go get a golden retriever! Wonder if the kennel would fit in the car??????/

    ReplyDelete