Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Why not on Wednesday

My mostly nice older brother thinks I talk entirely too much.  When we were kids, he didn't talk all that much.  Because he had a mouthy little sister nearly three years his junior.  And you know what?  I think he secretly liked it.  How do I know?  He keeps coming back for more these days via texts or e-mail even though he lives 2,054 miles away (that's an accurate mileage... I just checked).

But what I wanted to say about my mostly nice older brother is that he knows me like none other.  A text last night revealed exactly where I stood on a subject.  Exactly.  Genetics is a powerful thing.

I made some dirty rice last night.  It wasn't actually dirty.  That was the name of the recipe.  Someone recently mentioned eating it at a restaurant and it intrigued me.  So I looked up some recipes and used one.  It was nearly melt-your-lips-off hot.  The Chairman thought it was just wonderful and said so many times.  One of the MYP thought I was presenting poison at the dinner table.  Ya' can't win 'em all.

You know the saying, "bloom where you're planted"?  Well, these flowers could say, bloom where the seeds fell.  You see this pot dried up in July when we were out of town.  It was deader than door nails.  I neglected to dump out the dead dirt and plants.  Well I just recently discovered it and look what I found!


Lisi came and looked just like this after I took the picture.  So I snapped hers and then she left like she got her job done.  She always seems to have a 'proud' look when I try to take her picture.  Reminds me of a great-aunt I had.  A nice lady, but she'd get all stiff and look a bit like the Statue of Liberty when the cameras came out.

Had a feeling that a mouse was in the garage again.  Set a trap last night and within about 1/2 hour, Mickey decided that peanut butter was too tempting.  It meant his life.  And as I looked at him in his perfection, I felt a bit sad.  Almost wished that this could happen.

One of the MYP here has a boat-load of homework each night.  I'm still trying to figure out the reasoning behind homework.  Any ideas out there?  I'm all for down-time - especially a kid.  But that's not possible when there are assignments and projects and research to do.

We just recently had a short evening with this lady.  She's full of infectious enthusiasm about things we should be enthused about.  She spends most of her time in a place that is dear to our hearts.  And we only see her briefly about every five years.  But she's another dear friend in our journey of life.  I hope some day we can go see her where she spends her days.

On a side note, when I look at this picture I realize in just a year or so, that son of ours will be equal with me in height.  Where does time go?

This weekend promises good weather and beautiful fall scenery.  I promise to share it with you when I Muse on Monday.

Just saw a quote today.  "The reason a dog has so many friends is because he wags his tail and not his tongue."  Simple, yet true.

3 comments:

  1. Nice mouse video. Sometimes I feel that way about my chipmunks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got to see her last weekend, but not to meet her. I had a few petunias reseed and bloom earlier this summer. A lovely treat!

    ReplyDelete
  3. uh, just to point out that it's not only the son that will soon be as tall as his mother...
    And that lady is a sweetheart! Glad she was here this fall! Glad you had some time with her!

    ReplyDelete