Monday, October 17, 2011

Monday Musings

I started feeling a bit squeamish last night.  You see I was thinking about musing and realized I didn't have much to offer today.  Somehow though, something will come to me as my fingertips race across the keyboard.  It was a people-filled weekend.  The girls were at a birthday sleepover for nearly 24 hours.  It was wildly successful.  Except for the fact that the girls were both at a birthday sleepover.  Because you see they were not completely getting along at the aforementioned sleepover and one of them was supposedly omitting the other one of them from being with her friends in spite of six people total.  *sigh*.  A little separation and a couple words from mom and things seemed to be smoother.

Then we were invited to a fish boil.  Yes there was fish and lots of it.  And it was boiling.  Along with potatoes and onions and other good things.  But there was a potluck beyond all that.  Squash dishes and salads and about four kinds of apple pies and oh my!  Urp.  The food was excellent and the fellowship sweet.

And I was creative!  Sorta.  Fish boil.  Fishing theme...  it was creative enough to merit a picture taken by someone there.

This is pretty much what they looked like.  Except I didn't have them displayed on cute little pedestals.  And my frosting wasn't quite so vibrant.  But it's a start.  Sorta.

This past week I made spaghetti/eggplant for our Sunday guests.  Making it can be a real pain.  Three (sometimes 4) different kinds of meat in the sauce.  Eggplant requires a lot of time and olive oil.  But when you actually sit down and enjoy it.  Well.  Yum.  I'd share with you the recipe, but then the mafia would come and take care of you.  Because, well, you have to be married into the Italian family to know the deepest, darkest secrets of the recipe.  I wasn't really given all the tips until we'd been married at least 15 years.  Well maybe not quite that long.  But almost.  They wanted to be certain I was sticking around for good.

It is very windy here where we live.  So much that Old Glory in front of our house wasn't so glorious.  The second flag pole holder gave up.  Another replacement was bought and we hope for more glorious days.

The Chairman went to a class reunion this past weekend.  I went to #20.  I think I was polite and said the right things.  But I had no desire for #25.  Not even a thimble-ful of desire.  And you know what?  The other spouses felt the same as nearly none of them went.  But what I found amusing was that the Chairman said that all the 'guys' were a lot more interesting and fun without their wives/significant others around.  Somehow, I believe it.  Too bad that we 'ball-and-chains' wives make our spouses boring...

The MYP are getting to the stage now where I can be embarrassing to them.  I don't mind.  In fact, I secretly enjoy it.  They don't want me going out to get the newspaper if their friends are waiting at the bus stop at our corner.  I'm not sure why.  So one of them wanted to take a picture today to let me see what they see.  And this is it:

I'd show you the whole picture, but the unsurpassed beauty would make your retinas explode.  So I'll leave you to only imagine...

1 comment: