Monday, November 21, 2011

Monday Musings

I must be getting old.  I remember as a kid hearing grandparents or other older people saying how fast time goes by.  I feel that way now too.  These Mondays roll around pretty quick!

"Special time" with the MYP is really a neat thing.  I had the luxury of taking just the girls with me on a shopping and lunch venture this weekend.  Don't get me wrong, I love my son dearly.  Just not at the mall.  He's miserable.  He complains (and sometimes pokes) until we all are miserable.  And misery doesn't like company at the mall.  So he stayed home and played with friends and we shopped and had a leisurely lunch.  It was like I envisioned when these young girls were wee little things.  Sweet times with sweet daughters.  Happy sigh.

"Special time" with a son is altogether different.  He and I do active stuff together.  That's when he talks the most.    Last night was no exception.  We headed out for a long walk in the dark.  I was entertained and intrigued by something he shared about a neighbor.  Said that they were all playing outside a few weeks ago and he saw Mrs. Neighbor pole dancing with friends at her house.  I'm not sure what alarms me more.  That my 11-year old son knows what pole dancing is?  Or that Mrs.  Neighbor was actually pole dancing since she's well, not the pole-dancing type or shape.  Or that he and some neighbor boys saw it peeking in a window.  And finally, that it happened approximately three weeks ago and he finally shared such titillating stuff.  Wow.

While at the aforementioned mall I got sucked into a demonstration for a free product that turned into a state-fair type demonstration for a super-de-duper slicer that can cut off your fingertips in record-breaking time.  I came up with a number in my head that I would spend if it came to it.  The number made it.  I bought with the daughters' urging.  And now I'm soon going to be the lucky winner of a lot of bandaged knuckles.

I saw a fellow in the checklane at the store this week.  He bought the smallest turkey possible.  A can of sweet potatoes.  A can of jellied cranberries.  A couple potatoes.  A box of Stovetop.  A jar of turkey gravy.  And celery (that must have been salad).  I'm not actually sure what to say about this except that traditions are deeply ingrained in our lives whether we know it or not.  I almost invited him over to our house since we'll be many and the gravy will taste better guaranteed.

I got our semi-annual holiday card already ordered!  And yes, Lisi will be on it again.  Since some of you are more interested in the dog than us.  Or maybe she's cuter anyway.

Saw a couple quotes in a book that I'd like to share (since my musings are a bit dull and I've run out of fodder):

Be kind to your friends.  If it weren't for them, you'd be a total stranger.

Wisdom is knowing what to do next.  Virtue is doing it.

A sharp tongue and a dull mind are usually found in the same head.

Willpower is the ability to eat just one salted peanut.  

On Thanksgiving Day, we acknowledge our dependence.

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving.   



3 comments:

  1. Enjoyed your post...always do. Coming over to wish you a VERY Happy Thanksgiving! Loved your quotes as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How about "Willpower is the ability to eat no m&m's because if you do, willpower will be won't power in about 3 seconds."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe Sonny Boy knows less about what pole dancing actually is and simply heard the phrase??? You can always hope...

    ReplyDelete