Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Sick as a dog

Well I should be.  Because I'm sick.  And I'm a dog.  And the picture above - albeit cute, isn't me.  I think the Big Lady that yells but loves me anyway would go find one of those water bottle thingys if she thought it would make me feel better.

Yes, this is your good friend Lisi.  I don't feel so good.  The Big Lady has been looking at me all suspicious-like for the last couple days.  And she has reason to.  You see I don't feel very peppy.  It hurts me when I try to stand up.  So I lay down and stay put.  Even the thought of a walk just doesn't do it for me.  So the Big Lady keeps looking at me until she reaches for the phone.  She's talking to the Big Guy with a soft heart.  I hear her say that she will call and make an appointment right away.

And off we go!  We get to the office.  I slowly get out of the van and head inside.  They weigh me (in front of a crowd mind you), and take me to a room.  The very cute doctor-lady comes in.  She feels me all over.  I kinda hurt, but I purr for her.  She laughs.  And sticks this thing up my hinder.  I feel like I'm losing all sense of decency here.  I mean, really?  Then they take me back and stick this needle in me and pull out a lot of warm, red stuff.  They bring me back and say they'll call with results.  But the doctor thinks I act way older than I should!  The Big Lady keeps telling me to act my age.  Now when I do, they say it's too old!  No pleasing these people.

We go home.  The Big Lady and the Big Guy talk next to me.  The Big Lady is petting me in all the right places.  It brings some comfort.  Soon it is bedtime and I stumble to my bed.  Soon the littlest of the small people comes down from her bed and lays next to me.  She is crying.  Big Lady is telling her that I won't die.  WHAT???  Does she think I'm dying?  Oh I hope not yet!  I know life is short... but come on!  She reassures the little one that I'm not dying.  I get an extra hug and then I'm alone for the night.

Today was really weird.  Big Lady keeps looking at me.  After a phone call, she takes me outside.  She's holding some weird contraption.  It has a spoon at the end.  She keeps demanding me to "GO POTTY!".  Why?  I don't have to go.  I'm thinking I might try since it is sleeting out and it might make her happy.  I start to squat to go and she rushes in with her spoon!  What in the world???  I lose my urge.  Then she's yelling at me to "GO POTTY" again.  And again out comes that spoon thing.  What is she doing?  I think Big Lady is loopy sometimes, but this is just.  Plain.  Nuts.  I refuse to go.  Can't a dignified pooch like me have some privacy?

So we go back to the doctor.  Get some pills.  And we are home.  She still is looking at me kinda strangely. I'm nervous I might have to really 'go'  and she'll be chasing me around the yard with her device.  She's a weird one.  But she loves me and I love her and when the love is deep enough and real enough, you put up with some quirks.

ed note:  Lisi has started to be extremely weak in her back legs for two days now.  Took her in for a Lyme test that came back negative.  But her blood work shows some off numbers like it is probably a tick-borne disease.  So she's on medicine and we are hoping for the typical nutty fur ball to be back with us soon.  FYI... catching a 'sample' on a female dog is harder than it seems.  I've still not had an ounce (pun intended) of luck.

4 comments:

  1. Oh dear, poor Lisi...she's still so entertaining with her prose even when she is sick. Amazing! Get will soon, Lisi!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. get well wishes from us, Lisi. Pssst, I couldn't pee on a spoon either!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad Lisi is getting better, but just for the record, the mind pictures you painted are hilarious! (coming from the Funny Farm! :) )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well- after the fact- I'm glad she's feeling better again. Ticks are nasty!
    And ditto Janna up there! ;)

    ReplyDelete