Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Words this Wednesday

So when do you turn on your furnace?  It was a steady 65 in here this morning, and after looking down at myself wearing not one but two fleece jackets (yes I'm a chilly one), I turned it on for a bit.  But I felt guilty and turned it off again and started the oven.  

You see we have been going through lots of banana bread these days.  Son #1 asked last night if I could do four loaves/time so I wouldn't have to do it so often.  I did half that, but those two loaves will disappear quickly.  

Yesterday as I dropped off the aforementioned son #1 at football practice, the 'team mom' who happened to be there collecting fees came over to my van.  She said, 'you are a rock!'.  Um.  Did those extra two pounds I gained this past month really show that much?  So I said, 'what do you mean?'.  She said, 'I saw you down on that field.  You were so calm and quiet and not hysterical at all when Trevor wasn't moving all that time.  I would have been completely hysterical and crying and everything.'  I tried to tell her I wasn't.  I wanted to have her look up this blog and read what I was feeling inside.  But I didn't.  I just said, 'well I was very, very worried, but I was just thankful he was alive and we still had him.'  She looked at me with a smile and said, 'I couldn't have been as calm as you were'.  I've been thinking about it since.  She really doesn't know how she would react since it hasn't happened to her.  And maybe she'd have been even better.  And another thought that I've been harboring is that maybe on the outside I was calm as could be.  But as you all know, inside I was a terrified bundle of mom-nerves completely beside myself.  We can see the outside, but we really don't know the inward struggles of most anyone, do we?  We still are obviously very thankful for a healthy son.

So tonight we have some coming in to our home and they mostly will be the living room/kitchen area.  Being the mean mom that I am, the MYP have to clean their rooms top to bottom even though nobody will go see them.  Makes sense doesn't it?  They sure don't think so!

Lisi is most appreciative of the favorable comments about her bulging midsection.  In fact, the tally so far is Lisi - 1, Big Guy - 0.  (I'm not sure if I'll tell him.)

So this is it for the rest of the week.  I promise.  Less is more, right?  Right.

1 comment:

  1. My furnace has been on and off and on since the first of October. It might even have been on in September. But that is because natural gas is cheap and I can't carry as much wood as I used to, and I'm cold now that I'm skinny.

    ReplyDelete