Tuesday, February 4, 2014

We're Twins!

Well almost!  Hello!  This is your old pal Lisi.  I think it is time for me to 'speak' from my corner of the doghouse again.  Today was a lovely day to walk.  As I was trotting along minding my own business and doing my business I was doing some simple number crunching (we dogs aren't too complex with mathematics you know).  Did you know something?  The Big Lady that yells but loves me anyway and I are nearly exactly the same age!  Isn't that just the greatest?  It would be, but I have a bone to pick with her (I'd rather chew on it quite frankly).  

Lately, I have overheard the Big Lady that yells but loves me anyway tell people some things about me that I'm not happy about.  She seems to be bringing up negatives when she should really focus on the positives.  Want to hear them?  She says that my hair is turning gray.  She says that I've been getting more meat on my bones.  She says that I have some weird lumps here and there.  She says that my vision isn't so clear.  And she even has said that my ears don't hear like they used to (don't tell her but I do hear just fine.  I just choose not to sometimes.)

But did you want to know something?  She should be looking in the mirror when she is saying those things.  Have you seen her hair lately?  How about her backside?  Reading glasses?  Telling the small people they are always mumbling their questions.  Hmmmmm?  What do you have to say about that Big Lady?

Now don't get me wrong.  The Big Lady that yells but loves me anyway is my everything.  She's my mom and bestest friend and playmate and provider and love all wrapped up in one package.  And even though she won't admit it, I think in some ways I'm that to her too.  She walks through rain, snow, sleet, hail, and unbelievably cold temperatures just so I can have my daily outing.  She feeds me at perfectly paced intervals.  She scratches me in those perfect spots.  She even comes back from the store with bones stuffed with bits of goodness like beef or peanut butter.  So yes this affection is a two-way street.

I'm very aware that I'm on the fast track and the Big Lady is on the normal track of aging.  This time that we are the same age will be brief.  If time allows, she will be caring tenderly for me as I quickly become an old lady.  I know she will do her best to keep me warm, safe, and comfortable because she does that for me right now.  I'd like to live a lot longer, but I cannot and maybe it is for the best.  For now I'll enjoy each day to the fullest. So here's to me and my twin!  At least for a few days...



"If you still think you're a young pup then you are, no matter what the calendar says"
- John Grogan, "Marley and Me:  Life and Love with the World's Worst Dog"

"The misery of keeping a dog is his dying so soon.  But, to be sure, if he lived for fifty years and then died, what would become of me?" - Sir Walter Scott

4 comments:

  1. Don't like the undercurrent of sadness I hear! Hoping Lisi has a lot of good years left yet!! Love how she snuggles with Simba ;) Absolutely love your blog ole lady, jus sayin lol!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ditto what Deb said. Awhile back it hit me, though that L is not a young doggie anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i must tell you that I enjoyed this post Oh so much, and how come you don't write a book? I was gone a few days and Gilbert asked me if I had ever read your blog. He enjoyed it thoroughly and made the suggestion for you to write a book. So thank you for keeping my dear one entertained for me. It just recently occured to me that we are related and I don't know why i never thought of that before cuz i knew i was related to your Dad. Anyway, we are kind of twins too, sharing the same birthday and all. :)

    ReplyDelete