Tuesday, July 1, 2014

It's all about power


As we peered up into the skies we saw lots of bright lights.  Electric currents were surging through the atmosphere above us.  And suddenly there were no bright lights or electric currents surging through the wires of our home.

Little did I know after Musing, how exciting life would actually get!  After making sure our little guests were safely deposited back to their parents, we came home and started supper.  A storm was a-brewin' and we knew it would be a doozy.  It seemed wild and crazy and Lisi was panting like her life was soon going to end, but it wasn't as bad as some storms we have had.

I was feeling at my breaking point of heat and humidity so I started to turn on the a/c.  Just as I did, the lights flickered once, twice... then that was it.  The house became eerily quiet.  And dark.  And super-de-duper hot.  Well actually it was hot before the lights went out because we run the a/c when it is really, really hot.  Not just hot.  See?  I shouldn't have been messing with the a/c so early in the season!

The Chairman arrives for supper.  Since I had most of it done already, we ate what was available by candlelight.  It makes the sloppy joes seem to have much more finesse when you eat them by candlelight.  They tend to be a bit more sloppy too.  The kids brightly said, 'lets play a game!'.  So in the dim light offered up by a couple weak candles and the fading sun, we played a few rounds of Texas Hold'em.  Then I went off to the car and the peace and quiet to charge my phone and get some cooler air in the garage.

We go to bed in the hope that it will suddenly be restored in the night and wake us up with fans blowing and lights on and electronics beeping.  I woke up to utter silence still.  Rats.  I start thinking about my fridge and freezer and the umpteem hours I have spent buying, harvesting, preparing, and what-not all the foods in the cold spots.  Ugh.  I sure hope we don't lose them.  A friend nearby offers up a shower.  You see those with wells need power to pump that water through the spigot.  I was thinking as I was getting clean at my friend's house how strange it all was.  If you would have told me that one day I would be standing there showering at S's house I would have told you that there were rocks in your head.

A neighbor stops by.  She heard we won't be restored until 11 pm tomorrow night.  I panic and call a few friends that had said they had generators.  Plans are made.  I race off to a nearby gas station and buy up 60 lbs. of ice.

We return home and walk into the garage and the garage door lights pop on!  LET THERE BE LIGHT!  And 60 pounds of crystal-clear ice!

I think we need to have a party!  For power!  And to use up 60 lbs of ice...  so stop on by!

1 comment:

  1. I keep water around now for when the power goes off. It used to go off around here for a couple hours with frightening regularity. And we do like to flush once in a while.

    ReplyDelete