Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Birthday buying

He's great in most every way.  Perfect for me really.  Steady.  Sure.  Caring.  Loving.  Devoted. Loyal.  All those wonderful adjectives and even a superlative.  But challenged when it comes to stores.  He isn't a shopper.  Almost hates it (but I don't like that strong word).  Well if it involves cars and major purchases for the home he's all over it.  But small incidentals... well, no.  I buy everything for him except the ties.  I was even called the 'pants lady' once because I kept buying and returning until we found the right size and fit.  

I digress.  So I look forward to birthdays with joy and a bit of fear mingled in there for a good measure.  Because, well... you just never know!  This year was wonderful.  I got a beautiful hanging basket for a hook outside in plain view of the kitchen.  And another multi-colored pot that was just what we needed.  And then the other things the kids all picked out.  It was sweet. A fish plate.  A water bottle.  An exercise outfit.  Nice.  And then I opened two shirts - both in a shade of red (the Chairman likes me in red).  The first one was very pretty and nice.  The 2nd... well the tag said it was a Such and Such Brand with the word "woman" under it.  And it was a size 1X.  :-)  How great is that?  He thought it looked a little 'big', but the one that said 2X looked even better (well I should say!).  Then he was worried it was maternity.

Rayna kept giggling and wanting desperately to tell this to me when they got home.  Checking out there was some confusion with running a credit card through the machine and then 'dad said you can tell I don't shop much can't you?'.  She thought it was hilarious.  

And so their kind efforts don't go unnoticed.  I love what they do for me.  

4 comments:

  1. lol! You'll have to teach your girls how to find the right sizes, then make sure they shop with Dad :)
    I would imagine this is a good example of "it's the thoughts that count"!

    ReplyDelete
  2. O' I love this story. Too cute, and it made my day just picturing the scene. I know you had a great birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. makes it all the more meaningful when it's such a hassle for him! Glad you had a wonderful birthday..enjoy your shirts...thanks for the smile!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So funny. This happened to my Mom once. Dad bought her a very, very, very large nightie. They both could have fit in it. Maybe that was the idea. Ha. Sorry, Mom, if you're reading this.

    ReplyDelete