Monday, May 4, 2009

Happy Birthday!






To me.  I'm 44.  Some try to hide their age.  I can't really.  My hair doesn't allow it.  Or my siblings.  Or my parents.  Or my kids for that matter.  But you know what?  Having birthdays and getting older are better than the other option.  Not being here enjoying what life can bring. It isn't reality to think we won't age.  The next generation won't let us.  

And so today was nice.  It started out with me making the kids' choice of buttermilk choc. chip pancakes (just a few chips mind you).  Then they all scurried off to school and work and the laundry heap was waiting.  And some plants that needed attention.  And the dog who needed walking and some practice cram-training before the 1:00 class.  And the house needed to be slicked up.  Messages returned on the basement project.   Just another day.  I appreciated some calls.  Lots of FB messages.  And I felt sorry.  Because it was such an ordinary day.  And then the phone rang.  It was the Chairman.  Do you want to go to lunch?  Well I did, but the dog class starts in about an hour so it wouldn't be very long.  Lets go out for supper with the kids.  But his call made me happy.  He's been (too) busy at work.  So his gesture was very sweet.  And then after supper (which I ended up making - chicken, basil pasta, carrots/broccoli, sourdough baguette, and fruit chased down with a cupcake) the kids and the Chairman made quite a fuss. And the walk after was great.  And the game of PIG.  And then I realized I am blessed.  I'm where I wanted to be years ago.  This little family that is ours is something very special.  The husband that first chose me and than I him is sure, devoted, and loving.  And so this is going to be a great year.  For that reason and that only would be enough.  But I know there are many more blessings and trials that may and will come for the next year.  But that is life.  And I'm 44. And I'm thankful. 

4 comments:

  1. Happy birthday, you are very blessed indeed! Have a wonderful year, and thanks for sharing a lovely post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday, Linda! Your ordinary day sounds quite a lot like many of mine. Joy in the ordinary is most unique and I can see how much you treasure your family. To turn another year with such blessings would be more than lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know what I love about birthdays after you have kids? I love how excited your kids get about your birthday! I can see it in the pictures, how excited your kids were. Happy birthday to you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Proverbs 16:31. Ran across it a couple days ago...

    ReplyDelete