Friday, September 4, 2009

3RD MESSAGE FROM THE CHAIRMAN - 15 (+2) YEARS IN REVIEW

The Chairman of the Board of the Debelak Discourse (Duane) would be remiss to not comment on the past nearly 15 years of matrimony with the Editor and Publisher (Linda). With November 5 rapidly approaching, a brief review of the relationship may be appropriate.

The venture began innocently enough. Back in 1992, while exploring summer trip options, Dr. Jensen mentioned a five-day rafting excursion on the Colorado River being promoted by some of his extended relatives (Jane R. et al). As I can be uncomfortable in large groups in a non-boardroom setting, I was reluctant to commit. Unbeknownst to me, this apparently caused consternation with my future brother-in-law given travel logistics. Eventually, a commitment was made, and Mark and Matt graciously picked me up at the Denver airport (then Stapleton) and drove me (now temporarily nicknamed Denver) to Green River, Utah.


The initial meeting between the Publisher and Chairman was blemished when I called my future brother-in-law by the wrong name. And I was not overly impressed with the watermelon shorts, the sunhat, and the hands on the hips pose of the future Publisher. After several days, opinions began to change. A mental note was made over her car (Acura Integra), her job (Target Auditor), and her education (college but not overly enamored with it). The moment of clarity occurred at the first rapids.


The tour guides on our three-raft expedition suggested some of the more adventurous travelers could traverse the rapids feet first. As we lined up for the passage, somehow I ended up just ahead of the Publisher. I was impressed by her calmness and how she, despite the roar of the impending rapids, could continue to talk in such a relaxed manner. After plunging through the rapids and occasionally going underwater, I was relieved to discover I was unharmed. I then noticed the Publisher looking somewhat addled. The standard "are you OK?" query was met with silence. As we swam/drifted to the sand bar, a brief moment was necessary for the Publisher to recompose. At this time I concluded that, while she may be firmly in charge most of the time (estimated to be 99%), there may be times when I could provide support and encouragement. Later that evening, I noticed her combing her hair at the rivers edge and the previous troublesome hands on the hips imagery no longer resonated. I then realized that maybe I would not live in my parents basement for the remainder of my days.


While I began to notice the future Publisher in a more positive way, I'm afraid I did little to impress. My attempts to engender admiration were limited to worries about the safety of my new extended-wear contacts, retrospective pondering over how I could have lost my credit card in the MSP airport, and complaints about constipation. On a positive note, the Publisher appeared to enjoy witnessing a rousing unscripted fight I had with Mark (which is inevitable after several days of travel).


Uh oh. This 15 (+2) years in review is going to go on way too long. There may be time for additional segments of the review in the years ahead. Overall, the end of the review is very positive. The challenge remains the same, the song remains the same, the love has grown and the respect has deepened.


I love you Publisher/Editor/Reporter/Cartoonist!!!

8 comments:

  1. I love it!!!!!! It gives me hope for my single sons. Yeah!!! The last one did move out of my upstairs in the garage (that's about as good as a basement). Maybe we are getting a little closer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah ha ha! Congratulations, happy couple!

    ReplyDelete
  3. :) I wish I'd known both of you back then...

    ReplyDelete
  4. addled...loved this! i love the coauthorship concept..you compliment each other so well! both witty in your own separate ways and styles!! thanks for the great read!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Also enjoyed the post. And saw Matt this past weekend I believe. I'm pretty sure it's the correct Matt based on a previously posted picture. The good news is he'll be back in my area this year.

    ReplyDelete