Monday, September 21, 2009

Ker-Choo!

* Yes. It hit me last night. A cold. Sore throat. Itchy and runny nose. Even a slight achy feel. Yuck.

* But! Our family pictures were taken yesterday. By this talented lady. Some 'normal' family shots. And some creative too. Picture an antique red wagon with a sloppy and slightly impatient dog sitting in it with three kids pulling and pushing it. I can't wait to see them.

* Landscapers are hard at work outside the window. Putting in the front yard stuff finally. Was hard to decide. I hope it works out.

* Carpet cleaners come on Wednesday. We used to hear it wasn't good for carpets to be cleaned. But a carpet expert came a few months ago looking at a seam we were fussing about in the basement and his take was that cleaning was actually good for carpet. Since we've lived here 13 months and never had them done yet, I think it's time.

* And I give blood on Saturday. It was too convenient. And they asked too nicely. And they said something about my blood type being so desirable. And I could also mention a free pint of Culver's was thrown in for an incentive too. :-)

* Switching to cable phone for our land line tomorrow. Have heard mixed results with them... but it was a good $25/month savings. That would be nice.

* I threw out a huge bag of old file stuff. Do we really need statements from our utility company from 2003? It was very liberating.

* A couple Mira'isms today. She was trying to tell me about the curriculum meeting in her room and called it the 'Corinthian' meeting! And then she was trying to tell about something expiring and said it was 'perspiring'. I said... really? Maybe it was!

* Back to colds. Why do we need the virus? And what makes the nose run like it does? Is there a real purpose to it all or just to annoy us and make us realize that really, life can be miserable sometimes.

* No gourmet dinner here tonight. Recipes from here that were kid-friendly. Will have to up the ante tomorrow night. But I'm sick, remember?

The family jumps on the trampoline. The dishes are crusting over. Time to take action...

3 comments:

  1. One would think you would never need old utility statements and the like forever but my copies of several years of phone bills came in handy when they repealed the telephone tax a couple of years ago ... you know the tax that the Feds enacted in 1898 to fund the Spanish-American War.

    http://www.usatoday.com/money/industries/telecom/2006-05-25-phone-tax_x.htm

    Anyway, since I still had copies of telephone bills I was able to calculate our credit using the actual method instead of the paltry amount offered for those without detailed backup. The difference between the two was remarkable and made moving that box a couple of times worthwhile!

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_telephone_excise_tax

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you feel better soon--sounds like what has been hanging around here since the dells. And I never save old bills-- you can call them and have them send you over what you've ever paid them in a nice handy little print out-- learned that at my old job when I was on the phone with utility companies all the time setting up payment plans for clients way behind on their bills.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the link to that food blog. I'll have to check that out every so often. I can't eat regular food right now, but the rest of my family can.

    ReplyDelete