Thursday, September 24, 2009

Guilty pleasure



It's a guilty pleasure. In fact, the Chairman called as I was finishing up my hike. "Where are you" he asks. Um. At such and such park. I just had a hike and ate lunch and it was really nice. "Well that's what I'd do if I could". And so it's a guilty pleasure. I feel guilty that I can do it and he's working diligently to keep our assets a bit higher than the liabilities. The picture above wasn't taken by me, but it is nearly identical to where I sat and ate my lunch. What's missing on that picture is the wet dog waiting for the next stick to be thrown.

But anyway, back to the woods. I went there because there is a lot of commotion here. The landscapers are nearly finished outside. But they are noisy and in front of most of the windows. The carpets are still damp from yesterday's cleaning. So I don't feel compelled to march around the house that much. I did make a bit of bread and a cinnamon roll thingy that the kids will devour after school. But back to the woods. I go there because, well Lisi loves it there. It's like she's going to the... (insert your favorite place ever). Quite frankly, as much as I enjoy it, I doubt I would pack up my PB&J and head to the woods without her. I'd feel 'weird'. Scared in a way (not that golden retrievers are good guard dogs). And maybe part of the joy for me is seeing her so happy.

I love the crows 'cawing' in the woods. I love the crunch of acorns under my feet. I love the damp smell of decaying pine needles. I love seeing little chipmunks chitter and scamper away as I get nearer. I love being in a place walking for 1/2 hour and not seeing another person. I love the perfect 70 degree temperature with humidity (really... I do love humidity). And I love the fact I have my health to enjoy days like today. So I don't feel guilty. I feel lucky.

5 comments:

  1. This is nice, Linda. Don't feel guilty. Just enjoy that you can do it and the rest of us can wish we were you. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ah, beautiful! looks so wonderful and relaxing. YES! DON't feel guilty! momma's brains need down time, and calm, quiet, ralaxing enjoyable things like this look like a great RX

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know what you mean about feeling guilty, but the Chairman loves having a happy wife. Bowhunting for deer starts VERY soon, and I'm hoping to go out and sit in the stand with Kara again. It's wonderful being out in the woods!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ahh- just be glad that spot is so close and easy to reach... and be glad for Lisi- the reason you go!

    ReplyDelete
  5. no guilties...someone's gotta do it!!

    ReplyDelete