Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Dog-Gone-It!

My first day without someone with me in nearly three months! And so I did what every other lady with free time would do. I put on my shoes, got the keys and went to the mall nearby county park. I took a huge hike through wooded hill and vale. A treacherous path down to a lake and threw sticks at the pooch for a long time. I find it amazing that she can actually smell for the stick in the water. Amazing. And her other gift is to come up to shore and shake the excess water on me. But anyway. Then we went over to the dog park which is within the county park. Tis a large fenced in area. I figured on a weekday it wouldn't be so crowded and it wasn't. But there were still about 18 big, sloppy people dogs there anyway! Some observations:

* People reflect their dogs or the dogs reflect the people. I'm not sure which.

* The overweight people have overweight dogs. The skinny have skinny...

* Alpha-positioning isn't only for dogs. There was a lady there that felt it was her place to be the alpha-person. Hands on hips. Speaking with authority. The rest were showing signs of submission. I didn't see anyone lie down and reveal their own belly though...

* Friendly dogs have friendly owners. To the point of almost too much of a muchness. One gent came over and visited with me for at least 20 minutes on his wheaten terrier. I made the mistake of asking one question. And that's all he needed.

* Lisi had the greatest time with a chihuahua. Now let me tell you, this dog "Olive" looked like the Taco Bell dog. But she was quite charming. And could run like the dickens. And how I got Lisi to start going after her was to say, 'go get the kitty'. (I didn't let the owner hear that.)

* The dog people get sort of a confidence in themselves when around others with dogs. I know for a fact I wouldn't have said two words to those people had I ran into them at the grocery store.

* And there is a sort of an unspoken club with the dog people. They don't say, 'goodbye'. It was see you later. Like in tomorrow we'll be back! (I won't.) I think I'm in the group now. How about that!

* And when I was leaving... one lady said to me, 'good bye Lacey and Lacey's mom'. For some reason I corrected her. It's Lisi, not Lacey. REALLY? I thought I knew you! You're Lisi's mom! Um. Yes. Do I know you? Yes! I'm such-and-so's friend. I was there for the Canine Good Citizen training. Don't you remember me? No. Sorry. But thanks anyway! See you soon!

p.s. In reference to the earlier post about yesterday... we all are fine. Physically and mostly mentally. No worries for you out there. We just have some things to contend with within our walls. Thankyouverymuch.

2 comments:

  1. Having never had a dog, I have missed out on the interesting dynamics of a dog park. They sound suspiciously similar to the dynamics of a playground with small children! Pretty competitive! (The parents, not the kids)

    ReplyDelete
  2. this was a good one! I'm going to start watching for people to roll over and expose their bellies... that'll be interesting!

    oh yes- you're right about the dog/owner correlations. In general, a dumb dog=dumb owner. Most dogs have it in them to be top notch if brought up right.

    ReplyDelete