Thursday, November 19, 2009

The Chairman's Favorite Granola

8 cups old-fashioned oats (not quick)
3 cups nuts (I used about 1 cup sliced almonds, chopped walnuts, and chopped pecans)
1/2 bag coconut
1 cup wheat germ
1 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 cup canola (or other kind) of oil
1/2 cup honey
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1 cup Craisens

Preheat oven to 300 F. In a large bowl mix the oats, nuts, coconut, wheat germ, brown
sugar, salt, and cinnamon. In a saucepan warm the oil and honey. Whisk in extracts.

Pour liquid over the oat mixture. Stir gently with spoon. Finish mixing with hands if you need to. Spread onto two 15X10 baking pans.

Bake 40 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes. Transfer granola to a rack to cool. Add the dried fruit if you want (I do 1/2 with the fruit, 1/2 without). Put in airtight containers or bags and enjoy!

(I told the Chairman that I had mentioned the granola on yesterday's post and he asked, 'did you tell them it was the best granola I've ever eaten?). Of course not! I'm (cough, ahem) too modest for that...

3 comments:

  1. This sounds great. Just might have to try it soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. MMM! I made a huge batch of granola this week too. I think I mis-measured on the honey cuz it's pretty sweet and sticker than usual. Makes me feel a bit guilty about eating it, but it sure is good anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks good, Linda. I made granola over the weekend, too... when my batch is gone, I think I'll try yours.

    ReplyDelete