Tuesday, April 27, 2010

I don't work


The question was posed innocently enough, but as always, caught me off guard. I called for an annual appointment. "Are you still not working?". Yes that's right! I'm not working. But it pricks me just a tiny bit. I don't work. Nope. Idle. Just waiting for time to pass. I did work! Can I tell you about those days? I started babysitting first chance I could. Worked in high school scooping up slop and putting it into old people's mouths. Washed their dishes. And I loved it. Worked at a turkey plant. A place hanging window parts to paint. Various jobs with Target headquarters doing sometimes important (and not so important) duties. And now, I don't work. But I do! And all of you SAHMs know this. I know it. But we need to feel justified. Cleaning and cleaning and cleaning. Washing faces, towels, floors, empty drawers, dishes... you name it. Filling the cabinets with food. Putting on healthy, homemade meals day after day after day. Answering calls. Paying bills. Tending the sick. Weeding gardens. Writing a note to a lonely one. And that doesn't even touch the happy husband, the cherished children, or the ditzy dog. "They" are my job too. Making sure they're heard, fed, helped, loved.

I do take 'me time'. I love scouring FB for pictures. Looking at some dandy blogs that encourage me. Walking with our dog every day. And at those moments, I'm not 'working'.

And so... the answer is I don't work. But I have the best job there is.

7 comments:

  1. I think I've heard that at least once before from my mom; especially when I tell her she is SO lucky she doesn't have to work! :) I am so very proud of my mama for being such a good housewife/mom, and your kids will be able to say the same thing about you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You forgot the entertaining others part of 'not working'.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very well said. Why is it the justified part seems so important to us that "don't work?'

    ReplyDelete
  4. You said it perfectly my dear...just perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You said is perfectly my dear...just perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  6. you do it so well! i don't think you have any reason to "justify"...whereas slackers like me?? ummm. we'll just leave it there..

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't work either . . . and I LOVE it!! Sittin' around all day in my pj's . . . .

    ReplyDelete