Monday, April 26, 2010

Mostly Monday

Because I might be writing about some other day....
  • This weekend at the girls constant nagging request, we changed up their twin beds back to bunk beds. They had them at our old house. Then the novelty wore off. Their new room is roomier (an intentional play on words here) and so they had twin beds. But then they wanted a change again. They're like their mom. Rearrange! Switch things. Make it feel new. So the Chairman with his tools and an eager-beaver son and a big lady that was trying not to yell and voila! Bunk beds and a rearranged room!
  • In all the moving and switching around, son #1 got in his craw to make something happen in his room. He found a plastic tub I had dumped in there when we moved. Is full of baby cards. Notes. Precious things from China. Even the card that came with the first flowers the chairman ever gave me on Feb. 15 of 1994 (a very funny and long story to share some day). And a notebook. It had Winnie the Pooh on the cover. Started out in handwriting that was very neat and tidy. Said that it was April 11 and in six days we would be beginning our journey to China to get Rayna. And then I wrote that I would detail all my feelings, emotions and thoughts as we went day by day through the trip and continue when we got home so that one day Rayna would know how much she was loved and wanted from before she'd understood. And that was it! One page. Rayna brought it to me. Immediately saw the irony. We laughed and laughed. And I love the last line in the notebook. "I now need to organize your dresser and make sure all your clothes are clean." I'm still doing that... so maybe that's why I didn't continue the journal.
  • And then Mira came down. Feeling a bit gypped. Lots of lovely cards for daughter and son #1. Less for daughter #2. I think people's pockets were getting empty since we kept adding to the family in rapid-fire. And probably also rightly assuming we had hand-me-downs. She then crawled up in my lap and batted her beautiful greenish-hazel eyes and said so very, very sweetly. "Mom? Who do you love best? Is it me?" Um. No sweetheart. It is your dad. Without him there'd be no you or your brother or sister. She jumped off and said, 'I knew you'd say that... you always do.' At least I'm consistent!
  • She's got a bean project. Plant three beans in a clear cup and watch them grow. I've enjoyed it more than her. I never realized that there is about 10 days of things happening below the surface before you see evidence of life. I love that thought.
  • Enjoyed a bonfire last Friday night. The kids fed it dry leaves. I made the dreadful mistake of not having marshmallows to roast. They're on the list for the next fire. But the sounds of frogs croaking coupled with the crackle of a fire. Ahhhh.
  • And! The library gremlins are back taunting me. A call from the kids' school this morning. Hello how are you? We just wanted to let you know we got a call from the Sussex library. The school library book that Mira checked out and had been missing turned up at the Sussex library. The $4 that Mira paid for the missing book will be returned to her and you can pick up the book at anytime from the library. Um. We don't use that library. So it is library science! I just don't get it...

3 comments:

  1. Consistency is a good thing. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How is it that the book mysteriously turns up at some other library that you don't even use... and you have to go pick it up? Huh? Or did I miss something here?

    And- that really is a sweet post! blink blink

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey i have the marshmallows and kids whining for the fire! and i love your answer to Mira! I bet she asks it often because she loves that answer!!!

    ReplyDelete