Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Rain and a chance of something interesting

Yes, it's raining here.  But you came to read something interesting.  Can't promise you that.  But I can promise  you that it'll be raining here all day.  Funny thing is I was just out and about.  Nearly every store I visited had a clerk that mentioned something about the dreadful weather.  Yes, it is freezing   cool out.  Yes, it is windy.  But no, I can't complain about the rain.  You see it is spring here in Dairyland.  It is usually green here in Dairyland in the spring.  So... it rains.  Always has, always will.  When the kindly clerks wanted me to agree, I just nodded along (because I'm the fitting-in kind of person).  Or not.

But I disagree because my zinnia, bean, squash, and carrot seeds are quietly softening under the earth I just placed them in yesterday.  Actually, daughter #2 did the placing.  Son #1 did the hoeing.  And I did the oversight.

I love tending to living things.  I wonder if that's even why I like baking bread.  Yeast is living and it's needing just the proper amounts of this and that to thrive.  I love feeding birds.  I love taking care of the family.  And I love my houseplants.  To the point that they get big.  And then they need to be separated or something.  I nurture them to huge-ville.  I have a great big baby spider plant from mama that needs a home.  Plants aplenty I say.  I read it's good for the air quality.  So all the extra-bad smells that come after high fiber meals might be neutralized, right?  Oh never mind.  We're not like that here.  I'm kind of a recipe for disaster when I go to the nursery.  You see all those cute little flowers need tending.  And I nearly cannot help myself from wanting to bring too many home.  Problem is we have a budget.  And limited space.  So I better just stay out of those dangerous places for awhile.

So Lisi rode along this morning during our rainy-day jaunt.  We get home.  I unload everything.  She continues to sit in the van looking at me.  And as I type, she's still there.  Just sitting at me looking like she wants to tell me something.  What???  Does she wish she ended up somewhere else?  Does she want to just go for a drive again?  Does she want to just have some different place to wait out the un-ending rain?  Or the most probable... she doesn't even know why she's sitting there.

I skipped an important event this morning.  Each year our school hosts a "Volunteer Breakfast".  I sent in my regrets.  Why you ask?  There's something that makes me squeamish about a room full of people that do soft clapping for you doing a slacker   vital job like laminating.  And bringing in cookies and bars to help expand the waistlines of the teaching staff.  So I once again am a no-show.  My self-satisfaction is enough thanks.  Thank you very much.

This morning a person from Poland ended up here on their Google search for "a happy birthday thought for my elder sister".  Hope they found one!

So out in the freezing rain to get the last peppers planted.  But who's complaining?

2 comments:

  1. Me! I'm complaining because of all the rain we're getting and how we can't get the lawn mowed or my garden in----AND all the extra muddy wet clothes I'm having to wash.
    O.K. JK, (mostly)
    I'm trying to appreciate and be thankful that we are JUST getting rain, and not the horrible storms & tornadoes that some other places have gotten!
    The only thing predictable about our weather here in NE is that it is mostly un-predictable. Just tell someone what the forcast is, & you can bet it won't do it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you on the spring thing- it's just so great after winter that you can't help but love it. I suppose I've done my share of complaining about the rain but really- spring! Yay!

    I hope Lisi eventually got out of the van!

    Did you see me just land on your blog after googling: a happy birthday thought for my elder sister? Sure enough- you're on the first page for that one!

    ReplyDelete