Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Ticked

Well not really.  But I don't think the school will make me the "mom of the year" this time (not that they have such a silly thing).

Phone rings.  Hello, this is Janet from the health room.  Is this Mrs. Chairman's Wife?  Yes.  Well we have Daughter #1 here and we just discovered a tick on the back of her neck.  We took it off and put it in a little cup and then in a plastic bag.  Ok....

Do you know how she would have gotten the wood tick?  Well probably.  We spent three hours in somewhat deep grass last night at a baseball game and daughter #1 was lying on a blanket reading a book the whole time.

Well we highly recommend you calling your pediatrician to decide what to do next.  And we have the tick saved and are wondering what we should do with it.  So I responded, I would probably just flush Mr. Tick down the toilet and send her back to class.  Do you want us to keep the tick?  Or do you want to come pick the tick up?  Well to be honest neither.  I don't want to spend $4/gallon to pick it up.  Nor would I take the tick to the doctor's office.  

So then I ask Janet, is the tick super-tiny like a deer tick would be?  Well no, it looks like a wood tick.  Then again, I would just flush him and call it the end of the story.

Insert pregnant pause.  Well, I marked the spot where the tick was at and we'll decide what to do with the tick, ok?  Sure that's fine.  Well thank you Mrs. Chairman's Wife (said in a tone that she's not quite satisfied).

Say Janet? Maybe you should keep it!  Why even take him home and build a little house for him!  Maybe you could get more!!!  (what I wanted to say)

On a side note:   I understand Lyme's disease is dreadful.  I understand that there are real fears that school systems have over being liable for not tending the young people as they should.  But we live in Wisconsin.  We have a LOT of wood ticks... especially in this season.  So the utter worry and fear because of them still baffles me.

4 comments:

  1. Oh my... sometimes I think we lived in a world of people paralyzed by fear. Common sense makes a rare appearance anymore. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH MY WORD! Ditto Lani.
    We've been picking off ticks daily here in this country patch--they seem to be rampant here this year. We could have a community started....
    :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my! Glad I finally found your blog again! Didn't you post a waffle recipe way back when? Would you be willing to share it again? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. i wonder what brand of cow they might have had if they would have seen my husband the other day. picked off over 30 ticks. kids weren't as bad off as they had gone swimming and i wasn't as bad off as i had put on some natural anti bug stuff that's too granola crunchy for some other folks...hence my mere 4 or 5 ticks.

    ReplyDelete