Monday, January 9, 2012

Monday Musings

I was going to write "nothing" and that's it.  I felt like there was nothing to muse.  But maybe there is.  We'll see.

Just back from running some errands.  Lisi came along and rode in the back of the truck with her head sniffing in the breeze.  I'm not the only dog lover.  Seeing her elicits lots of big smiles and an occasional wave.  Today two ladies took it a step further and stopped me in Costco and asked if I was the one with the dog.  They wanted details and finished up telling me she was just beautiful.  I walked away feeling very tall.  Until... I happened upon the kindly middle-aged lady passing out small sandwiches to try.  She started giving me the sales job on how they'd be good for myself or even for the 'grandchildren when they visit'.  I looked behind me for the cute little old lady.  But she wasn't there.  I was who she was speaking at.  And so I wasn't feeling so smug and perky and cute anymore.  Maybe a bottle of brunette would be all it would take.  Or not.

In this day and age of penny pinching, I find it stunning how prices can vary so much from store to store.  Today I purchased dog food.  It was $16 cheaper/bag at the hole-in-the-wall place I go to then the fancy big box that has a 'treat bar'.  I'm into agave syrup these days.  Costco has two bottles for 30 cents cheaper than one bottle at another store.  Just sayin'...

Daughter #2 has a good friend at school born on exactly the same day as her.  She thinks that's neat.  I spoke with the mom.  Different hospitals and about three hours different in time is all.

We are no longer going to be agitating (didn't say agitated did I?!).  Bit the bullet on a washer/dryer set.  It'll be here in a couple weeks.  A full report might be forthcoming.  But it did generate some very interesting dialogue on FB!

Saturday, son #1 was at a friends for the day.  The Chairman was very busy with appointments, walking, and work.  And so the two daughters and I spent most of the day doing absolutely nothing.  We sat by the fire.  We played games.  We talked.  And a little less than that even.  It was so nice it was almost delicious.

But it always isn't that great.  I don't want you to see our family through rose-colored glasses.  Or maybe I do.  We've had a lot of sibling rivalry as of late.  Scrapping.  Irritability.  And down-right fighting.  I'm at a loss.  Since I was alone with the kids last night, I sat all three of the little gifts from above and started lecturing.  Then I decided to listen.  Some good points were made.  But how in the tarnation do you get kids to not fight so much?  Tips?  Tricks?  Thoughts?  I'm all ears.  But I don't read parenting books.  Sorry...

Here's a few pictures of the past weeks that I'll finally post.  I'd show you a lot, lot more, but I'm nice like that and will spare you the details.  * All the photos shown are published without consent of the subjects. *
John and Laura 

My 'big' sister and I.  She's as nice as she looks.
 
At gift opening.  Lost of cozy after-wedding time.  Super cool
guy behind R.

Hanging on grandma.  This kid is really special.

SUPER-glad for this nephew to be with us.  

The newlyweds after gift opening with  Punxsutawney Phil!
He has been photographed all over the US and has
been a big part in this couple's dating life.  Glad he
made it to the wedding.

My mostly-nice older brother doing work with some smaller
people watching.  I still like him I guess.

His lovely wife that feels exactly like a sister to me.

Waiting during the rehearsal.  Boys will be boys.

Just because someone took this of us.  We've been told
we look alike.  But she's way-prettier than I ever was.

6 comments:

  1. Great to peek in on your family again...I have missed stopping by on Monday's the last few weeks. Glad "N" could be home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice! You do look alike and I would beg to differ..You're both truly pretty. Absolutely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now I know a little more about who John married. His grandmother and my father grew up in the same town, and the families have been closely connected ever since.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ....and then there are some us who are interested in the "details!" So glad and happy for your family..wish we could have been there too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Playing games together isn't "nothng", it's what they'll remember. Since I don't have fighting kids anymore, I've conveniently forgotten that part of my life. (but I didn't know what to do either.) consistency, maybe? I like the details, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loved seeing the pix from the wedding weekend- absolute proof that the little boy in over-sized rubber boots is all grown up! All the best to them!!

    My SIL is just like a sister, too- it's so nice!

    ReplyDelete