Monday, January 16, 2012

Monday Musings

And we're back!  I must admit, I like musing.  Otherwise, these thoughts would just rattle around in my head and cause quite the commotion.  My side of the family sends out a weekly e-mails to each other each Sunday night or Monday morning since we live in KY, IN, IL, CA, MN, WI, and a few places in between.  I love them.  The family or the e-mails?  Well both actually.

It helps too as my parents are pilgrims on this earth.  They left last week for another out-of-the-country trip.  You know we always hear that we have no guarantees of tomorrow.  Well when they are over on the other side of the world, it is fun to know that tomorrow really is coming!  Because when they e-mail, it has already happened.  

I'm really enjoying my new washer/dryer.  I've done about six loads so far... and so far, so good.  I can't believe the capacity.  I can do double the amount in each load.  I notice that the amount of water being used is a fraction of what used with my old one.  I use less than half the amount of detergent.  And because I have connections with VIP's in the organization (thanks MB!), I have some insider do and not-do tips with front loaders.  The only complaint I have is about 'Gary'.  He left a cigarette butt on the side of the road where the semi was parked.  

The following is not a paid endorsement, but I think it merits mention.  I have ordered from this company in the past.  If you need baking supplies or what-not, they have good prices.  I did an on-line order of an assortment of things on Thursday afternoon.  Saturday noon, FedEx pulls up and in the box is everything I ordered just hours before.  I don't think it could have been faster if "Janice" personally packed it all and jumped in her truck and started to drive east.  Great service!  Maybe everyone from Nebraska is that cool.  I love everything I ordered right down to the screw off lids for 5-gallon pails that hold my whole grains for bread.

Friday night we said goodbye to this couple.  

They left today to begin a new chapter of their life on the west coast.  My first memory of them was when I went to my first g.m. in this area when dating the Chairman.  She turned around with a big smile and warmly chatted with me and made me feel comfortable.  Over the years we saw each other nearly twice a week for 17 years.  We share a love for walking.  Camping.  Dogs.  And life.  I kept it together when I hugged them goodbye.  But this morning as I thought of their plane heading off for the west I felt a tear come down.  I don't like changes or goodbyes.  But they are going where the job has taken them.  They are going where they feel is the right place to be this time.  And so we wish them well.  And we are glad that goodbyes can also simply mean 'see you later'.  If you want to follow along in their journey, you can go here.  Just don't go there and not come back!  Here's a few random shots taken the night of their party.  
sisters

sweet little girls

cousins

a mass of super-nice people
We are enjoying the snow that is now melting.  A couple shots from the last few days:
wishing she could sled

colorful friends


Last night I was trying to get the youngest of the MYP to bed.  I said, 'go to bed'.  I said it again.  Then finally feeling exasperated I said kinda loudly 'I said go to bed and now it is the third time and do you know what that means?' (thinking she would know I'm very, very serious).  She gets a big grin, pumps both fists high into the air and shouts, 'that I got to stay up later!'.  Tsk.  Kids!

5 comments:

  1. What? You mention 'tips' and then don't share them?? Give it up, sistah!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww... Linda you made me cry again. Thanks for thinking of us!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my--I don't like "goodbye's" either and there's some shadows forming on the horizon of that in the future here.
    I love this last paragraph tho--What a hoot! LOVED it!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yes, and BTW--of course we're all cool like that here in NE :D
    Thanks for the link--I really needed that. I've got a mixer that is sitting needing parts and I've been wishing I had some other things on this site, just have never taken the initiative to go searching. I'm "cool" like that... :P

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was a pleasant surprise to see your folks in a pic that some west coast friends had in their globe-trotting email. I always like seeing people I know from Point A and Point J meet up at a seemingly random Point X. Of course, they likely don't ever get around to the the Very Fun Fact that there's at least one common acquaintance in their large circles of friends... ;)

    ReplyDelete