Thursday, May 17, 2012

Thinking on Thursday

Yes, a glorious time of the year.  I'm completely drawn to any greenhouse I happen to drive by.  I'm smitten by pretty flowers.  They all want me to take them home and plant them and water them and nurture them.  I was informed by one of the MYP yesterday that I'm responsible for watering everything because it wasn't their idea to have them.

I also have a vegetable garden.  I do it because it is something I should do.  I do like fresh cukes and tomatoes and other delicious goodness that comes forth from it.  But I'd sure rather be working in flower beds than planting teensy-weensy carrot seeds.

I respect anyone who has to faithfully take a prescription medicine each day.  I'm having a dreadful time remembering my 2x/day for 21 days pills.  Hopefully, the lyme disease won't mind if I forget one every now and then.

I had a near-perfect mother.  But she wasn't.  Last night I was talking to the youngest and she was remarking on all the people she knows and how incredibly many for her near-10 year age.   She was even thinking of recording them all.  And it brought back a memory.  In my near-10 year age (many, many years ago) I was going to start a fresh notebook and write down everyone I knew.  And then keep it up all my life!  My near-perfect mother snickered and snorted and finally guffawed at me.  A silly idea she said!  There are too many to write down.  Then what would you do when they died?  But some days, I still wish I had that notebook that was never used.  And on a side note:  my near-perfect mother actually remarked about it some years back and thought maybe she gave bad motherly advice.  I'll forgive her.  Because she's near-perfect.

Some people dear to me lost their mother this week.  She was elderly and had fought dementia for the past years.  One thing that stands out to me about this elderly lady was that she was child-like.  And the older she got, the more child-like she got.  I think that's a wonderful quality.  She also loved children as much as anyone I knew.  The last time I saw her, she was just beaming looking at some little ones.  

I'm glad school is almost out.  The thought of packing one more lunch nearly makes me queasy.  If I do the math correctly, I'm packing nearly 500 lunches each school year.  Eeps.

Last night in g.m., I sat by a very precocious 5-year old that makes me smile.  But what nearly made my heart stop from cuteness was hearing her sing #130 at the top of her lungs.  Yes, a thousand choices bar her way...  but she sang with such a zeal and fresh innocence it was intoxicating.  

So off to the dreaded garden.  To hoe in some slightly straight lines and start the sowing of seed...  

2 comments:

  1. A notebook with a list of everyone you know sounds amazing!
    And I hear you about greenhouses and flowers. Flowers are addictive!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true about the flowers vs. the veggie garden....and flowers just do better for me. Veggies like to get eaten by bugs, and nibbled on by rabbits...but petunias will just do their thing and bloom all summer long!

    ReplyDelete