Monday, November 11, 2013

Monday Musings

Happy Veterans Day.  Besides the fact that I can't run to the bank or the mailbox, it is time to remember those that served our country.  My dad is one of those and he was shipped off to Korea as a young man.  Luckily, he was out of harms way and came home and built a life and a family and has lived happily ever after (especially after being blessed with his youngest child).  With urging, he will sometimes talk about the time he served.  But he was not traumatized and doesn't consider it a huge part of his life.  The bigger part and the part that makes his eyes light up and nearly dance is when he is talking about having fellowship with people he loves from here or the other side of the world.  He'd rather talk about that.

 
This past weekend was one of those that I might remember some day down the road when all the MYP are out of the house and it is dreadfully quiet.  Why?  Because it was just the five of us with two entire days of no plans and we baked apple pies and played games and sat by the fire and read together and talked about potential trips some day and wrestled and took walks and just was here doing next to nothing while the busy-ness of the world swirled around outside.  Here's a couple shots I took over the weekend...
We did go to the our high school's football playoff game on a frigid Friday.
Um... so much for my lecture on thinking of others... the argument given was that there was still some left.

My pie-maker.  I love teaching life skills...and really pie is a necessity of life, no?
It is pomegranate season again and since we all love them in this house, we go through a couple a week.  I saw a video clip on the best way to seed them and I think it is my favorite way.  Plus I can get out some pent-up aggression.  Simply cut off the top flower.  Then score the middle on the equator just enough to get through the skin.  Pull apart and start to spank it upside down on your hand with the back of a wooden spoon.  The seeds just fall out.  It is a great job for MYP if you have one.  
I think the term 'just chillin' would be appropriate here.  He's a very relaxed cat unless a mouse is within a mile.
It's snowing!  The MYP were hoping for 20-degree temperatures from now until April so the skiing season can start.  I hope they are wrong.  

This wasn't much, but all I have to offer this Monday.  Time to don the galoshes and hit the pavement for a walk.  And...  happy Monday to you!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the tips on opening a pomegranate. I've always struggled with them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pomegranates- they're really good in smoothies! But I hate wiping up the walls and counters (and floor and ceiling and furniture in the next room) every time I touch one. I haven't tried 'spanking' it yet (that does sound fun!) but does it really prevent that juice from squirting everywhere?
    ps- Someone else just posted about how their kids 'change' the TP roll! Must be a universal thing!

    ReplyDelete