Monday, April 28, 2014

The case of the missing purse

And one final post!  This deserves one all its own so I can remember the details some day down the road.  However, it was so icky, I might not forget anyway.

The first place the ship stopped at was their private island called CocoCay.  It is a beautiful place about a mile or so around.  Plenty of chairs and food and crystal clear water.
We got some chairs reserved and headed out into the water to splash around and try out the snorkeling.  Then we felt the slightest hunger pang and headed to the buffet line.  Daughter #2 had just taken a picture and slipped her phone back into her little purse and slid it under a beach towel.  Daughter #1 was nearby as she wasn't hungry quite yet.  

We return with our plates loaded with goodness.  We munch along.  I decide to run to the restroom before settling down for a relaxing afternoon of sea breeze and sunshine.  On my return I'm met with an alarmed look from daughter #1.  "M's purse is gone!!!"  What?  I rush back.  I see the Chairman.  He looks physically ill.  Daughter #2 is sobbing.  I ask what happened.  

Daughter #2 wanted to take another picture and felt under her beach towel where the purse was placed and it was gone.  I can't believe it.  I pick up the towel.  Not there.  I pick up nearby towels.  Not there.  I look under chair.  Not there.  I'm also starting to feel physically ill.  Inside this little purse (a Vera Bradley I might add) is a brand-new smart phone.  Also cash, a few personal items, and the ID card for the ship.  Daughter #2 is inconsolable.  She's crying.  The Chairman rushes off to find security.  Daughter #1 feels she should go alert the people right at the dock near the checkpoint.  I decide to just ask anyone nearby if they've seen or heard anything.  I tell anyone that will listen.  A police officer from Baltimore walks up in his swimming trunks.  Another man from Buffalo NY is an eager-beaver kind of helper guy.  Two older ladies from Great Britain come forth.  They are asking people for help.  I keep going back and forth between places staring at the same sand and chairs and wishing a stolen purse would just show up again.  The trip feels senseless.  I feel a very deep pit in my stomach.  The phone replacement would be at least $300 plus all the other inside.  Not to mention a daughter that is sobbing on her chair.  This goes on for at least a half-hour.

I keep asking and talking and wandering around.  I say to a few people, 'who would steal from a young girl?'.  Other parents stop by with sympathy in their eyes.  They tell stories of lost or missing items that have occurred in their life.  Nice, but I'm wanting this purse back and this situation resolved.  I finally realize it is fruitless.  The perpetrator won.  I start to wander away and then look back.  WHAT???  There on the back of the empty chair is the purse!  For a split-second I think I'm dreaming it.  It is still slightly moving like it was just tossed there but I see no one nearby at all.  I run over and yell to daughter #2.  "IT'S HERE!  It has been returned!'  We look inside and everything was in tact.  The phone, money, incidentals, and ID card.  Without thinking further I say enough for others to hear, 'whoever returned this, Thank You!'.  Soon the Chairman returns with two intimidating security officers.  I tell them it has been mysteriously returned.  They say that maybe the one that took the purse realized that they have to go through security and it will be discovered since they all know it is missing.  

Whatever the case, it was a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day turned into a blessed day of sunshine and happiness.  Daughter #2 got some intense talking to about safety and responsibility (though she has a very good record in her little life so far) from her father.  

I have a suspicion of who possibly did it that was sitting nearby.  We will never be able to prove it was him, but it is the most logical theory.  Whatever the case, the purse was recovered and she learned a lesson that day that none of us will ever forget.
the crime scene (note:  that guy is not involved in story)

3 comments:

  1. Quite a tale! I'm guessing the inconsolable weeping of said MYP had a lot to do with the purse being returned, too. I'm glad she got it back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my, I'm so glad it was returned. Just catching up on a little bit of bloggy reading! :)

    ReplyDelete