Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Lessons in falling

One of the best gifts we can teach our children is humility.  It will take them a long ways in life.  And sometimes it is hard to know just how to teach them that - other than the obvious way of showing them by our living.  So I tried to do just that yesterday.

The girls and I decided to do a quick bit of shopping after school last night.  We pulled into a parking lot right near the front door.  In fact, the van was right next to an elevated landscaped area.  I grab my purse, open the door and hop out.  I wait to hear that all the doors are closed so I can hit the lock button on my fob.

As I turn around to make sure all is well I feel my ankle about to give way to soft thawing ground underneath  Mind you, this is the same ankle that has let me down repeatedly.  Somehow, my body said 'don't let the ankle twist again' and instead of that I just lost all balance and plopped down on my can in the parking lot right near the front doors.

My daughters come running, 'MOM!  Are you alright?'  Followed immediately by, 'mom, get up you are embarrassing us'.  Fortunately for them and me, there were not many people around.

I hop up and survey the damage.  Nothing but a scraped up pinky finger and a scuffed boot.  And today?  An achy, middle-aged body that wonders why certain muscles are aching in weird places.

So.  Teaching humility.  Sometimes we just don't know how and when we can be teachers.  Maybe it will catch you off guard and happen when you least expect it!


2 comments:

  1. Oh ugh. Hope you aren't hurt to bad, in either place....body and pride. :-) I fell once too, and I can't believe how quickly I hopped up. My body told me the day after, I shouldn't have been so quick. Falling hurts, in more ways then one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my was this ever funny! Sorry, I do hope you're ok! Your mean older brother would've laughed! He's laughed at me many times when I've fallen, or fallen down the stairs! He gets points for trying hard not to laugh, but it never really totally works! Anyway, I figured out that at this stage of the game it's best if we don't attempt to strut our stuff anymore! haha!

    ReplyDelete